K241 Kohler engine will not start

Old 04-17-09, 01:37 PM
K241 Kohler engine will not start

I have a Kohler K241AS 10hp. in a Cub Cadet. It refuses all efforts to start. The fuel was fresh and free of water. The fuel petcock was open. The carb. bowl contained fuel. I checked compression and it registered 100 psi. Spark was very weak so I in stages I changed points, condenser, coil, spark plug and plug wire. I now have a good hot spark. Cranking speed was very slow so I added an additional pulley to the starter and cranked the engine w/ both the starter and a 110V motor. Still no start. The carburator was removed and cleaned. No varnishing was noted. The needle valves were not plugged. I reset the HI idle needle valve 2 turns out and the LI needle valve 1 1/4 turns out. Still no start. I installed a spare carb. cleaned and adjusted as above, still no start. I have gapped the points in.001 increments from .019 to .024. At .024, the points break at the S mark on the flywheel as viewed with a timing light. At .018 the plug fired at TDC. Starting fluid does not help. I am at my wits end. Can someone please help???

Russ

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-09, 02:38 PM
You normally don't need the 110 volt electric motor to start those things. Considering how long you have been at it, the combustion chamber is probably flooded.

Try;

1. pull the spark plug
2. turn off the fuel.
3. turn what you're calling the high idle back in 1/2 turn and
set the point gap to .020.
4. set the choke to off and the throttle to full on
5. run the engine over about fifteen times
6. add a teaspoon of gas to the cylinder
7. put the spark plug back in and with half throttle and no
choke
try to start it. It'll probably try to start, then die in about
15 seconds.
8. Turn on the fuel at the tank and it should take off after
all the lines and carburetor fill with fuel.

Old 04-18-09, 11:56 AM
Kohler still won"t start

Another frustrating day trying to start this engine. I followed your procedure and only got putt putt, a carbon deposit on the plug and no indication it wanted to start. I removed and cleaned the breather cover and observed the valves while cranking. All appeared normal which is what I expected with a 100 psi compression. I'm picking straws at this point.

Today I deliberately flooded the engine through the plug hole and cranked the engine, choke off, 1/2 throttle and fuel off. I got no more that a series of putts until the flood cleared. It should have gone thru an air fuel mix that would fire. The plug was dusted with carbon.

A friend suggested I spray the plug w WD40 and intall it. This did not work.

I did noice someting that may be a clue. At .020 point clearance, the first two engine revolutions produce a timing light flash at the S mark on the flywheel, after that the timing advanced approximately 5.

If the tractor were not a hydro I'd try to push start it.

Thank you,

Russ

Old 04-18-09, 03:57 PM
I don't know if this will help or not, But I remember being told by some old Pros that if the engine is flooded too bad it will wash down the cylinder, You will need to put a bit of oil in the cylinder to get the rings to seal & make the vacuum & compression needed to draw thru the carb & compress the mixture.. Maybe I'm off line, but try it...Good Luck,, Roger

Old 04-18-09, 05:02 PM
The timing is set with the point gap so it shouldn't be going anywhere unless there was something altering the point gap.

If you have good spark at .020, I would check the point contacts to make sure they are moving consistently as you crank the engine. If all is well there, I would say you just have the engine flooded.

The couple of putt-putts you got is usually a sign it's coming out of the flooding. Dumping a lot of gas into the cylinder doesn't do any good, it only aggravates the flooded condition.

If the points are OK, I would go back to the procedure described to clear out the cylinder, but let it sit for about an hour with the plug out, the air breather off and the throttle at full open.