Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing bolts from blades; Carftsman 917.271650 17hp 42"

04-17-09, 01:48 PM   #1  
Removing bolts from blades; Carftsman 917.271650 17hp 42"

Silly question, perhaps. The blades picked up a string of 1/8"(?) steel cable. The cable is wound (just once I think) between both the blades and mandrels. I tried removing the bolts to free the blades so I can remove the cable, but the bolts don't seem to want to break loose. It has been so long since I have had to change the blades my self that I do not remember if the bolts are clock-wise or counter clock-wise threaded and I am afraid that I may break the bolts (as if I could muster up the strength.) And is it safe to use some WD-40 or (my favorite) PB Blaster to loosen the bolts?

I hope no parts are damaged as last year it went into the shop and got new belts, madrels and blades. Also, I hope it will be as simple as removing the blades as I can't get it in the shop this year and my health isn't much up to performing much labor these days.

Thanks.

Charlie

Sponsored Links

FL

04-17-09, 04:54 PM   #2  
Charlie,

Turn your wrench counterclockwise to loosen, It won't hurt a thing using your PB blaster.

Use a six point socket and ratchet or six point wrench, The six points is less likely to slip/round the bolt head off. Also use a short piece of 2x4, Hold the 2x4 at the inside front of the deck then rotate the blade so the tip digs into it. This will pin the blade so you can use both hands to pull on the wrench.

When re-installing the blades make sure the blade goes over the star on the shaft and rides flat before tightening, Getting it off centered and tightening can damage the star and cause vibration.

Good Luck

04-17-09, 06:21 PM   #3  
Thank you 31YTech.

I'll squirt some of the PB Blaster on it then get back on it when the sun comes up. I'm assuming it will come up.

Charlie

04-19-09, 07:46 AM   #4  
Thanks 31YTech .

Worked like a charm. I'm back in action again. BTW, even after letting the penitent soak in over night I still couldn't break the bolts loose. A wrench about 2' long provided more leverage, and even then the bolts were very difficult to break loose but it worked out. Probably all things considered had a hand in getting these bolts loose.

The next time I have to remove the blades would it be wise/safe to apply a little anti-seize compound to the bolt threads?

Charlie

FL

04-19-09, 01:40 PM   #5  
Charlie,

Glad it worked out....

I make it a point to put anti-seize on ALL blade bolts when re-installing even though I use a air impact wrench, It reduces thread wear from removing/installing dry.

04-19-09, 08:51 PM   #6  
Thank you much 31YTech. I will keep the anti-seize in mind.

Best wishes and have a great day.

Charlie

Search this Thread