Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

kohler k161

04-18-09, 05:35 AM   #1  
kohler k161

I have an old troybuilt with a kohler k161 7 hp engine. The motor would run poorly after 30-45 minutes of running. Two different small engine mechanics told me the valves were probably the problem. The tiller is 35 plus years old. I had a valve job and the carb. redone. The tiller still acted the same way after that work was done, so I replaced the coil with no sucess. After returning the tiller to the shop, and checking previous work, the motor does not operate properly even with the engine is cold. The motor starts easily, but will not rev up rapidly. Any suggestions?? I left out that I had replaced, plug,points, condensor intially. The shop verified the proper setting on points.

Sponsored Links

04-18-09, 10:15 AM   #2  
Did you use Kohler ignition parts? I have seen aftermarket points with lazy return springs once they got hot. Put a neon in line spark tester between the cap and spark plug, see if the spark falters.

04-19-09, 06:11 AM   #3  
Not sure what a neon is, but I am asuming that it test the strenghth and consistancy of the spark. Thanks for replying. Would the governor, being out of adjustment cause the engine to not excellerate.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-09, 07:06 PM   #4  
Aside from the revving problem, does the engine run fine otherwise?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-21-09, 08:23 AM   #5  
Engine sounds good at lower rpm, but pops a little at high rpm. What kind of compression reading should I have on the engine? Should there be much of a change from cold to hot?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-21-09, 09:38 PM   #6  
Have you checked the valve lash? You should be looking for at least 90 psi on a comp reading with a decent cranking speed. It can change with temp, but look for 90 or better in any case unless the cylinder has been flooded and washed down with gas.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-22-09, 05:16 AM   #7  
If my compression test is correct, I am not close to the 90psi, its around 50 psi. Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread