Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cleaning a mower deck of grass buildup

CANADA

04-18-09, 11:03 AM   #1  
Cleaning a mower deck of grass buildup

Has anyone seen or come up with an easy way to clean built-up grass from under a mower deck ?

I have an area of the yard (1/2 acre) that tends to grow real heavy grass.. by the time I get to mowing the yard, this area often will start to clog up the underside of the deck (32" conventional blade deck on a CubCadet). When it's bad enough, the buildup will stop the blades and smoke the belt.

Usually, what I do is drive the tractor up a 2x10 propped up on a block and then get under there with a stick/etc to pry off the grass clumps. There must be an easier way..

I was wondering if some kind of contraption hooked up to a garden hose.. like a metal ring with nozzles pointed upwards.. that you drive onto ..maybe that would rinse it off ? Or maybe mount the nozzles to the deck itself so its spraying 'under' the grass to force it off.. could put a quick coupler to the garden hose on the deck.. maybe that would just shoot pee-holes thru the grass wads, I dunno.

Thoughts ?

Sponsored Links

NH

04-18-09, 12:44 PM   #2  
The easy way is NOT to allow it to clog up in the first place.
Crawl under the deck (or remove it) and clean the deck using a putty knife to get all the grass off the deck. Now you can use a couple different things to coat the deck so grass will not stick to it.
1). Mow-Deck. Made for mower deck to keep grass from sticking to it.
2). WD40. Spray the deck with WD40. Grass will not stick once coated.
3). PAM. PAM, the stuff your wife uses on her frying pans, cake pans, ect.
All of these will keep grass from sticking to the deck and all are bio-degradable and will not hurt the lawn. The one thing to keep in mind is that you have to coat the deck before EVERY use.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-09, 09:08 PM   #3  
Also cutting the grass when it is dry, not wet, will reduce the accumulations. It also helps to cut the grass more often so that your clippings are small and light. It is best to cut your grass often enough that you are not removing more than 1/3 of the blade length. Best not only for the mower, but for the grass as well. I also give the nod to mow-deck and pam.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

04-18-09, 09:55 PM   #4  
Im just a regular joe.. my lawn isnt even all grass, and the soil is different grades across the yard. Some is still mostly sand , the grass/weeds/worms are workin it, but it takes a while.. that stuff grows fairly slow. Some is nice black loam, and the grass/weeds (if its green, its good lol) grows like mad if given the right sun/rain factors.

Even one cut per week in the good grow area isnt enough to stay under the 1/3 blade rule. Im not gonna be a slave to my yard.. once a week is more than I wish. Possible that Im lazy.. lol.. well that and mow/trim takes about 2 hr+.. thats a long time for lawncare in my books

I did a little searching and found that MTD makes some nozzles that fit to the mower deck.. you just hook up a hose and run the blades. There's some concern about rust with the water.. Im thinking about a DIY of a hose connector with one of those liquid fertilizer dispensers mounted to the water stream, where you can 'add' some oil (wd40 or mowdeck etc) to the stream at the end of the rinse process.

We still have some snow in the yard, so I do have some time to fabricate.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-09, 10:03 PM   #5  
I agree about the slave to the yard thing. A well established lawn with good grass and few weeds should fall under the 1/3 rule once a week but a yard like yours just has to be dealt with however works for you. I know what you mean...mine is mostly weeds now until the centipede comes in full. I don't get the clumping thing though unless I mow when it's wet. ??? Are you using a mulching kit and blade?

I'm not a fan of water spraying under a deck where it can get into bearings while the mower is on.

God bless!

CANADA

04-18-09, 10:11 PM   #6  
Just a regular blade as per spec for the unit. Its not a mulching unit (im not sure if a mulching blade would help it.. or do you need a matching 'mulching deck' design ?) Id love not having to rake now and then..

If protecting the bearings is a major concern with a deck-washer.. its not a big deal to push 3 or 4 strokes of grease gun into the 2 zirc fittings in the deck... I would even consider mounting remote grease fittings if it would further my laziness.. hehe

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-18-09, 10:30 PM   #7  
Keeping it full of grease would definitely keep the water out. A mulching blade is much more prone to cause buildup than a regular blade. If you're cutting thick grass, a mulcher may create as much need for raking as a regular blade because it will leave a trail of clumps.

God bless!

Search this Thread