16hp Briggs Horizontal Twin Governor problem?

Old 04-18-09, 04:52 PM
16hp Briggs Horizontal Twin Governor problem?

I need some help. I was mowing with my old Bolens Eliminator and I thought I heard a metal gravely sound (i had earplugs on to save my hearing). suddenly the engine started to race with high rpm that did not reduce with pulling the throttle down. I turned the engine off, checked what I could see on the carb, throttle line, governor springs etc. everything looked normal.

I re-started and the engine idles low with the throttle way down, but as soon as i give it a little gas, it starts to race away with high rpms. If i use a screwdriver and pull the arm on the govenor away from the carb, the engine slows down.

Any ideas?

any help much appreciated

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-09, 05:04 PM
Ed,

You can check the governor adjustment as below, If after adjusting it still wants to over rev there's a good chance the governor gear has slung apart. To replace it requires the engine to be removed and opened up.

1. Loosen screw holding governor arm to governor crank.

2. Rotate throttle plate linkage from idle position to full throttle position. Note direction of rotation of the governor arm attached to the throttle linkage.

3. Place and hold the linkage in high speed position.

4. While holding the linkage in this position, Use a appropriate tool to rotate the governor shaft until it stops in the direction noted in step 2.

5. tighten screw holding governor lever to governor crank. Torque to 35-45in. lbs. (2.8-5.0 NM).

6. Before starting engine, Manually actuate governor linkage to check for binding.

Good Luck

Old 04-18-09, 05:31 PM
the metal grinding noise sounded like something just broke. I will try the adjustment procedure you describe, but I am betting something internal broke. thanks for the help!

Search this Thread