Winterizing snow blower

Old 04-19-09, 03:24 AM
Question Winterizing snow blower

Want to winterize my new Craftsman Snow Blower (Briggs & Stratton 250cc eng. two stage.)

Need to remove spark plug to put one ounce of oil in cylinder, per manual. The spark plug has a housing over it and this needs to be removed to get to the plug. There is a choke knob on the top of this housing which needs to be removed to let you have access to the plug.

Problem is, the choke knob appears to be stuck on the shaft and doesn't want to pull up and off with gentle upward pressure from my screwdriver blade. This is a new machine. I don't want to apply too much pressure and damage the knob. (there is no screw to remove on the knob.)

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance,
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-09, 07:26 PM
I have been winterizing snow blowers for storage for many years in our shop. We only run them until the fuel is out of the carbs. You can change your engine oil and install a new spark plug now or in the fall. You should be able to remove the plug with out taking the carb cover off, it just is hidden by the valve cover. Most choke knobs are only pressed on and might stick if you really want to remove it. The biggest problem is that winter fuel will cook out during the summer months, even with stabilizer in it. You might try choking the engine as the fuel runs out to draw as much out of the carb as you can. Sometime just removing the carb bowl bolt will allow any remaining in the carb to drain.

Old 04-22-09, 12:55 AM
Wink Got it off

Thanks for your time Camino. I got it off yesterday and was able to put the oil in cylinder. Also, thanks for the additional tips.

Ron