How do I get gas out of Carb

Old 04-19-09, 04:38 AM
How do I get gas out of Carb

I have a murray rider mower with a B&S engine. there is a gas shut off switch on the gas line because the gas leaks into the carb. I forgot to turn off the switch last night and now the carb is flooded with gas.
Last time this happened I had a repair man come and drain it.Can't afford it this year. Can someone tell me how to drain the carb? I know I have to remove the spark plug but thats all I know. thank you
Jean

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 07:14 AM
You may have a leaking float valve in the carburetor which could be fixed to avoid the flooding problem.

But since you are where you're at for now... turn off the fuel at the tank like you've been doing, and take out the spark plug, move the end of the plug wire away from anything metal and tape it there to avoid a spark. Then move the throttle to fully open with the choke off. Pull the starter rope about ten times and put everything back together.

Then before you turn the fuel back on, try to start the engine with half throttle, choke off. It may take a few pulls to get all the fuel residue out of the engine, but it should take off for you.

Old 04-19-09, 09:57 AM
Check the oil level too. If it is over full and smells of gas, drain it and put fresh oil in.

Search this Thread