John Deere Lawnmower Problem

Old 04-19-09, 06:41 AM

------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 20 yr old JD Lawnmower Mdl 14SB self propelled. It has a Kawasaki 4 cy engine.

Have always had good service. Used it Friday and it worked fine. Yesterday, it would not start and I noticed that gasoline was dripping from a small black plastic line onto top of deck.
any idea what is going on here? suggestions before I take it to local JD dealer which BTW normally does a yearly checkup each season?

any advice is appreciated.....

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you got some dirt or varnish in our mower's carborator. The carb's float is stuck allowing fuel to enter even with the motor off anf it's over filling the carb bowl. Check your oil to see if it smells like gasoline, if yes, please don't run the machine until you change the oil. Gasoline is a terrible lubricant.

Old 04-21-09, 05:21 AM
Thank you for your reply.

So what to do? All the gasoline drained out of tank overnite. Oil does not seem to be contaminated. Is there anything I can try before packing up mower and taking to JD dealer for repair which is a real PITA.

Thanks for all advice.

Old 04-21-09, 11:54 AM
Have you ever taken a carb off a motor, disassembled it and cleaned the "innards", put it back together, and reinstalled it on the motor? That's probably what needs to be done. There are small screws and a needle valve and some springs and they all have to be cleaned and their passages checked for blockages, and usually you need a new gasket to replace the one between the carb and motor. No insult meant here, you might be a brain surgeon or a biology professor and therefore are much smarter than me, but I'm guessing you don't have much experience in small engine repair, so I hesitate to say it can be a do it yourself job, but as long as you can keep track of the parts, know what they do, how to clean them and reinstall them correctly, you can do it. I don't know your skill level, so it's your call as to how comfortable you are with this.

Search this Thread