Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snow blower wont start Tech. engine

04-19-09, 12:01 PM   #1  
Snow blower wont start Tech. engine

OK, Before I put my snow blower away last year I mixed fuel saver as I have always done for the last 4 yrs and put it in the snow blower and ran it long enough for it to cycle thru the engine. This winter I cant get this thing to start. I drained all the fuel and dropped the bowl on the carb. it was tarnished along with the carb itself. I cleaned the bowl and needle valve and sprayed throttle body cleaner in the carb. cleaned the float and used a little air thru the hole where the needle sits. I put new fuel back in and new plug (which is sparking) prime carb, Check for fuel in bowl which it does have. Then I try to start and nothing. If i pull the plug and shoot starting fluid in it, it fires until the starting fluid is gone then dies. If i shoot alittle starting fluid in the carb it does the same thing. For some reason it wont draw fuel into the engine. Any Ideas??? Should i pull the carb off and soak it?? I didnt take the carb off.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-19-09, 01:07 PM   #2  
Did I get this right? The machine sat dead all winter and you are now worrying about it? Is there a fuel shut off that you forgot about? Don't laugh, it has happened.
What is the engine model and spec number? We need a little more information on the carburetor style.

04-19-09, 01:38 PM   #3  
Well i was trying to make the post short. I tried to start it 2 during the winter with no luck. Now that the weather is nice, i thought i would work on it. No fuel shut off. I have fuel to the bowl though.
Engine model # HSSK50 673885
engine family XTPXS.1951 BF
5 H.P. I think it would be a down draft carb. The fuel tank is above the carb. and feeds directly to the fuel bowl when its dumped in the fuel tank. Does that help?? Im not real good with small engines.

04-19-09, 06:58 PM   #4  
I have the same motor in my snowblower and had the same problem you speak of. I had to soak my carb.
1st)Loosen up the gas cap to let air into the tank and try starting it again. If that doesn't help.
2nd) Pinch off the gas line then remove it from the carb..unpinch and observe to see if you have a continous flow of gas as you drain it. If thats ok, then.
3rd)Remove the carb, remove the main jet that holds the carb bowl, disconnect the float spring and needle, remove the idle jet on the side and soak it all in carb cleaner for an hour. Then blow it out with compressed air. Make sure the holes in the jets are clear..have to look hard to see those..very small. Then re-assemble.

MO

04-19-09, 07:48 PM   #5  
The link below will show the bowl nut or one similar and all holes need to be cleaned, I use the wire from a twist tie for the tiny one at the top. Have a good one. Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

04-19-09, 08:44 PM   #6  
Thanks for all the info. I'll give it a try this week and let you know what happens

Search this Thread