Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S Engine smoking at idle

NJ

04-20-09, 05:58 AM   #1  
B&S Engine smoking at idle

I have a B&S 126312-0616-B8 on a push blower that is smoking (blue) badly at idle. I am sure it is also smoking at speed however you really cant see it. Other than bad rings maybe cylinder -- what else could be causing it. It is not over filled with oil and the oil is not too thin.

Sponsored Links

04-20-09, 06:21 AM   #2  
Has the engine been recently tipped? How long did you let it run?

If it has been tipped recently you might try letting it run for a minute or so and see if it clears up, gets worse or continues the same.

NJ

04-20-09, 06:34 AM   #3  
Good thought on the engine being tipped however it has not been tipped. When idling it just continues to smoke. It creates quite a big cloud.

MO

04-20-09, 09:15 AM   #4  
Remove the muffler and run it to see if it still smokes, it could be the muffler is full of oil from a previous tipping, I made the mistake of storing one at a bad angle once, it created a terrible cloud for about 15 minutes. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-09, 10:22 PM   #5  
Sounds like rings to me, but overfilled oil level or gas-thinned oil can cause this too.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

05-26-09, 04:25 PM   #6  
Well we took the engine apart and to our surprise found that there was no valve seal on the intake side. Purchased a valve seal and installed it. I thought we had found the problem however there was no improvement. What was funny is that I would have thought the valve seal would have been installed like a mushroom over the valve however if it was insalled that way it seems it would have rubbed on the keeper. As it turned out it was installed as an upside down mushroom. Did we install it incorrectly and that is the problem ?? Also, how about some other things to check before we pull the head etc and check the rings. I think maybe since the valve seal was left out maybe there is no oil ring. PS there was no oil in the muffler and the oil was not gas thinned. -- thanks in advance

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-09, 12:10 AM   #7  
I'm sure it has an oil ring or the smoke would be much worse than you described. I wouldn't be concerned about a valve stem seal... there is little or no benefit to having one on most small engines. I still go with rings worn out. Pop the head off and look at the cylinder to see if it is worth tearing down or not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

05-30-09, 04:02 AM   #8  
Disassmbled the engine and found one side of the piston totally disfigured. In fact there were jagged edges on the side. I have never seen a piston this bad. Something was definitely out of spec on this engine. The middle ring and the oil ring were welded to the piston in their grooves.

Search this Thread