Craftsman Tractor/Engine 31C707 Type 0230-E1

Old 04-20-09, 12:08 PM
Thumbs down Craftsman Tractor/Engine 31C707 Type 0230-E1

Hi there,

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tracktor (2003 model #917.272681) with B&S 17.5 HP engine (Model# 31C707, Type 0230-E1). While I was using it a few weeks ago it gave out huge white smoke (Like a cloud). I stopped using it since then. Now, if I start up, it runs rough (like chocking) and white smoke comes out when deck is engaged. Oil spills out of the Rocker-Arm Cover and comes out of the Dipstick Tube under the lid. Spark plug oiled up and the engine oil smells of gasoline. Does this mean the engine is completely gone ? I am weighing how to proceed: Get a new engine or do some repair work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-09, 12:54 PM
The cause of the white cloud of smoke is due to fuel in the crankcase oil. That is happening because the carburetor is dumping fuel. You need to remove and recondition the carburetor. Briggs part number for the rebuild kit is 796184 if it is a Nikki carburetor (two screws holding the bowl on) or 697241 for a Walbro carburetor (single, center nut holding on the bowl. Be sure to change the oil and filter, if applicable and inspect the air filter for oil soakage and replace if necessary.

Old 04-20-09, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Puey61 is right, the carburetor needle valve is just leaking. Fix that, change oil and air filter, and you should be set. Minor repair.