Honda Mower HRA214 SX engine RPM 'varies'

Old 04-20-09, 04:31 PM
Honda Mower HRA214 SX engine RPM 'varies'

Hello,
I have a HRA 214 SX with the GXV120 engine.
I have not used it in 7 years so I did the following:

1. New plug, change oil.

2. Disassembled carb and cleaned jet, float/spring/orifice, mixture screw and orifice. Used solvent and air pressure.
All passages clear and free.

3. In-tank fuel filter clean.

I put everything back together and it started fairly easy but the rpm 'hunts' up/down with choke on or off.
After I engage cluth and run 30 seconds, then release clutch, the motor runs great on high speed but when I go to idle the rpm varies, almost stall, then picks up again.

I tried adjusting the mixture screw on the front of the engine closest to the engine block and it seemed to make a difference but the problem is still there.

What can I do next?

Is there a procedure to adjust the mix screw or is there another screw/adjustment I must make?

Thanks,
Ken Cz

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-09, 09:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's still starving for gas so I'd say there is still a restriction in the carb somewhere or an air leak. Most likely a restriction. What kind of solvent did you use?

Old 04-21-09, 08:32 PM
HRA214 Carb problem/

Hello,
I used a standard degreaser (Gunk) from the local auto store.
I started it today and when cold, with choke on, it ran Ok - but with choke off, it 'rpm hunts' up and down.
Seems better after warmup and engaging clutch for a while.

Could the engine heat be causing expansion that is helping seal an air leak?

What should I use to reclean carb?
Soak it?
How long?

What could be leaking air? Carb gaskets? Shall I replace them of use silicon gasket maker to seal up?

Thanks,
Ken

Old 04-21-09, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use cheap automotive spray carb cleaner to clean it and it should be fine. Verify that all internal passages are clear.

Old 04-22-09, 08:29 PM
HRA214 Carb problem/

I have already done that plus blown out all passages with high pressure air - I then blew thru them myself to ensure they were open - no changes, rpm still varies.
Once warmed up and run at high rpm it's better but still not right.

Now what - air leak causing a lean condition?

Ken

Old 04-22-09, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kencz View Post
I have already done that plus blown out all passages with high pressure air - I then blew thru them myself to ensure they were open - no changes, rpm still varies.
Once warmed up and run at high rpm it's better but still not right.

Now what - air leak causing a lean condition?

Ken
Sounds like you cleaned most everything, but you did not mention the pilot jet. A plugged or restricted pilot jet will cause this exact type of running condition. The pilot jet on your carburetor should be located directly below the idle stop screw, it's plastic and is held in place by an O-Ring, you must first remove the idle screw and pry the pilot jet up and out of the carburetor. There is a tiny orifice in the bottom that can get plugged, also need to make sure the delivery passages are clear as well.

Best of Luck...

Old 04-23-09, 08:06 PM
HRA214 rpm problem

30 year Tech -
Thanks for the tip and the very discriptive directions.
This is exactly what I needed. Now I know how to proceed.

Question: What is the procedure to adjust the mixture screw on the carb that faces forward and is right next to the engine block - almost looks like an air bleed screw to me.

Just not sure how to set it.

Thanks!
Ken

Old 04-24-09, 07:07 AM
I believe on your carburetor it is an air bleed. I usually just start at 1 1/2 turns out from seat and go from there. On air bleed type adjustment, closing the adjustment will richen up the mixture. The load or high speed on this carburetor is not adjustable so this will only affect the idle mixture.