inexpensive push lawn mower

Old 04-21-09, 07:45 AM
inexpensive push lawn mower

I am looking for a push lawn mower which mulches with an aluminum deck. I was told that Briggs & Stratton is the best engine. I am not looking for one with "bells and whistles" and the best bang for the buck.

Thank you,
Karen

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-09, 08:25 AM
Pretty much all big box stores and large national chains carry low end basic mowers.Brand names with these are not very important as they are all manufacturered by a few companies,most notably MTD and Murray.

You WILL get what you pay for.Unless you baby these mowers they'll only give you a few seasons but taken care of I've heard of them lasting ten years.

You'll have to shop around as far as price to features is concerned.They are promotional items and basically "on sale" somewhere all season long.

If you go to a big box ect you will not get good saleshelp which means for the most part it's up to you to decide if what they sell is what you want.Some stores offer free assembly and even delivery some do not.

B&S engines are fine but not what they once were as they are now mostly imports.That said most mowers will have them or an equivilent.

You must understand that to get a really good long lasting mower you have to go beyond low end base model promo mowers.

To get knowledgeable saleshelp and follow up you need to go to an independant retailer,hardware store,garden center or small engine business.You might pay slightly more but will get better service.

Old 04-21-09, 11:22 AM
Curious as to why the aluminum deck is important? Aluminum when typically used in a mower deck is much thicker than the steel decks because it is cast, not stamped out like sheet steel, so weight savings is minimal if any at all. Aluminum does offer corrosion resistance, but you are not going to find aluminum decks on a low budget mower...... OK, I just did a quick search on the web and the only common brand mower I can find with an aluminum deck are high end Toro's. Excellent machines, but will cost you around $500. Deere, Cub Cadet, Snapper, Ariens, Gravely, and MTD offer only steel decks. Realistically, if I was lookng for a 21" self propelled mower that could muclh/bag or side discharge and it was going to be my primary mower and I wanted quality, I'd be looking to spend at least $400 and looking at Toro and Snapper first, maybe Deere, only because I like the tall handles on the Deere (I'm 6'03" tall)

Old 04-21-09, 11:42 AM
Reread your post, and you did say you wanted a push mower, so if self propelled isn't required, and you really want to stay on a tight budget and still get a decent mower, here are some things to check:
1. Quality wheels that have metal hubs with real bearings, not made of plastic.
2. Wheel height adjustments should be easy to make, but lock positively in place. Ideally would be one lever to adjust all 4 wheels at the same time.
3. Handle bars that can be adjusted for your height. Nothing worse than having handles so high it's under your chin, or so low you have to stoop over to cut the whole lawn.
4. Ease of starting. You sjouldn't need to pull more than 2 times to start the mower, and you shouldn't need to be a body builder to pull the starter rope.
5. It needs be easy to check the oil in the motor as you should check it EVERY time before starting to see that it is at the proper level, and what does the oil look like.
6. It should be easy to clean and/or change the air filter.
7. Get a correct spare blade at the time of purchase. When the blade on the mower gets dull, you can swap the spare in quickly and sharpen the other one at your convenience later. With that one sharpened later, you can swap again quickly as you will always have a sharp blade handy.
8. The underside of the deck should be smooth and reasonably free of protrusions in the cutting area so as to not snag grass and cause build up. Amazing how many mower decks have stuff hanging down in the cutting area that accumulate grass.

Old 04-21-09, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Go to a Sears store and check out last years models..normally outside..not on the sales floor. You can find some quality units with full warranty for sometimes 1/2 the cost of this years model.

I got one in '96 for around $225 that was almost identical to the new model selling for $400 or so. It lasted 10 years until I forgot to check the oil at the beginning of the season and had to rebuild the engine ($100). Worked fine for another season til I gave it to a neighbor when I moved.

Old 04-21-09, 01:51 PM
Inexpensive lawn mower

I have found two lawn mowers I am considering. Husqvarna 7021P and Toro 20331. I am leaning towards the Husqvarna-any thoughts?

Thanks,
Karen

Old 04-21-09, 02:04 PM
I only know Toro as I've worked for retailers of them.I can tell you the reliability and quality levels are very high.Toro regularly ranks high with Consumer Reports and other testing and information sites and sources.Toro retailers that are not big boxes go through training classes that are fairly decent and are updated yearly.

I highly recommend the brand.

Old 04-21-09, 02:14 PM
Both are good mowers. The Toro is a front wheel drive self-propelled. Depends on a few things:
1). how much $$ you want to spend.
2). What is your terrain? Do you need a self propelled?
3). The most important is The dealer who will be doing the service.

If you don't need the self propelled, go with the Husqvana. Has a Honda engine and uses ball bearings on ther wheels as opposed to plastic bushings.

Old 04-21-09, 02:35 PM
Based on the two that have caught your eye, I much prefer the Toro. When you make a purchase the most important factor is "do you have a service center nearby?" What good is a mower if you have to drive 50 miles to obtain warranty, require service or pick up repair parts? Having a reliable, established service center in your neck of the woods should weigh heavily on your purchase.