Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

murray 42591x8b transmission

04-21-09, 06:31 PM   #1  
murray 42591x8b transmission

thought the belt was slipping replaced it correctly routed and still having problem. noticed oil dripping from the spline on the left rear transaxle not much. murray.com no help. any ideals or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-21-09, 08:35 PM   #2  
I'm not sure what you mean by oil dripping from a spline. You mean the left rear axle? What is the problem? Moving slow? If the oil is leaking, there's a good chance it is low. Have you attempted to look at the fluid level in the tranny?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-22-09, 03:47 AM   #3  
it moves fine for 5 minutes and then like it is slipping no foward or backward movement. thought is was the belt so i replaced it with the correct belt and routed it properly.i have not had chance to firure out where to look will probally have to take panel off under seat to locate the fill plug. yes left axle where it comes out ot the housing. hopefully it is not a sealed unit.

04-22-09, 05:14 PM   #4  
peerless vst205-024 c transmission

found a rubber fill plug but can not find drain plug. cleaned all the extra muck off of the outside and took off the deck still slips after acouple of minutes drive time. would like to know the amount of oil and weight i need to put in once i find the drain plug? was not leaking from shaft.

Last edited by jonboy1969; 04-22-09 at 05:16 PM. Reason: adding info

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-22-09, 10:28 PM   #5  
Well I don't know what tranny you have, but it sounds like you have a tecumseh/peerless by your observation of a rubber fill plug. There are actually 2. One is under the fan on the input pulley. This is the one you need to get to. Pull the plug out (it's smaller than the one on the right side) and add 20w-50 synthetic motor oil until the level is not far from the top. I forget exactly how full it should be, but I recall it is not quite to the top. Maybe an 3 1/2 inches or so below the top of the case. Stick a screwdriver in the hole to see how full it is. Push a blunt screwdriver in the hole in the plug and push it back into the tranny to reinstall it. The other hole on the right side of the tranny is where you would add 90weight gear oil if it is low. Not to the top as well there either.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 04-25-09 at 04:40 PM.

04-25-09, 04:26 PM   #6  
i found the technical manuel on another post at this site. it covers may different murray lawn mowers transaxles. http://www.cpdonline.com/691218.pdf
thanks any way

Search this Thread