Craftsman Hydro Gear Transaxle

Old 04-22-09, 06:51 AM

I replaced the rear tires on the Craftsman Lawn Tractor model # 917.256571, while doing this the left rear axle came out of the Hydro Gear Transaxle (Model # 310-0650, this what Sears calls a "sealed system"). I called Sears and had a conversation with a computer generated voice. I also made an appointment for the mechanic to come to my house , but he had to cancle...So I figured I could try and repair it myself. I believe that the ring clip was broken when I remove the wheel. I removed the transmission, drained the oil, removed all of the bolts that are holding the upper and lower housing together. The problem is that I can not separate the upper and lower housing. What product did they use to seal theses parts together and how can I seperate them?
Thanks
kv

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-09, 04:23 PM
It will be a standard, common sealant. But, with all sealants, they have an adhesion property and will require you to use a pry of some sort to seperate the two halves. Just use caution so as not to damage the sealing surfaces.

Old 04-29-09, 01:42 PM

Thanks Puey,
I'm afraid I will damage the casing if I pry. The casing appears to be a white metal or aluminum.
I'll give it a try.
Thanks again.

Old 04-29-09, 03:53 PM
Double and triple check that you have ALL screws out! You don't want just one left behind and cause you to overly force it apart and then crack one or both case halves.

Old 05-01-09, 06:15 AM

Well, I finaly separated the case, I tried prying but I noticed that the metal was starting to deform so I used a utility knife by tapping it around to cut the seal.
There was a large washer setting in the bottom of the casing. I attached the washer to the axle and it appears that this solved the problem.
Now I need to reassemble. What type of grease should I use?
It appears that they used 3 different types, one for the sleeve bearing (dark brown in color), one for the axle (green in color), and a heavy oil (appears to be 20W-50) to lubricate the remainder differential assembly, jack shaft assembly, block cylinder assembly and other internal parts. How much oil should I use to fill the casing?
Thanks,
kv