briggs engine smokingb problem

Old 04-22-09, 10:08 AM
briggs engine smokingb problem

Ok, so my craftman rider has been puffing smoke here and there and eating oil. Did a leak down test and rings are good. I noticed the exhuast valve rocker is too tight and air is escaping there and I hear it where the pushrods are when at tdc. Could this be a bad headgasket and how do I adjust the rocker?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-09, 03:57 PM
We need to know what engine you have...make, model, type/spec, serial! Craftsman doesn't make their own engines. Generally though, there should either be a locknut or a setscrew on the rocker arm that you will loosen and then turn the adjusting screw whichever way you need to go in order to obtain the correct clearance (and we can't advise you on the clearance until we know specifically what engine you have). Unless it's a Kohler Command engine and then since these have hydraulic lifters there is no adjustment.

Old 04-22-09, 09:12 PM
Its a 15hp b&s vanguard 28Q777.

Old 04-22-09, 09:16 PM
Theres no locknut. I think you have to buy different shims that are on top of the valves.

Old 04-22-09, 10:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a set screw in the center of the rocker nut that you adjust to set the valves.

The leaking air into the pushrod area definitely sounds like a blown head gasket and will cause exactly the problems you're having.

Old 04-23-09, 04:38 AM
FYI, .005" clearance on both valves. You didn't post the type and code numbers but the head gasket should be Briggs part number 273280S.

Old 04-23-09, 06:52 AM
Is there some kind of valve in the crankcase area I should check too? I have had the mower straight up to sharpen the blades. Type-0129 01 Code- 9401174A

Old 04-23-09, 11:41 AM
There is a valve in the crankcase...the crankcase breather reed valve. Not to worry though! The breather assembly will drain itself out if you should even erroneously fill it with oil, which is not likely so long as the spark plug is at the front of the mower (which it should be) thereby placing the oil sump at the bottom when you stood it up. Having stood it up you do need to be concerned, however, with losing acid from the battery. If so, douse the area with much water to flush it from the chassis and wires. By the way, the head gasket I referenced earlier is the correct one for your engine.

Old 04-23-09, 09:11 PM
Wheres a good place to order the head gasket? I think Im gonna put a new exhaust vaqvle guide in while Im at it. Is the torque for the head bolts 220 inch lbs? So whats that like 18ft lbs?

Old 04-23-09, 11:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your local small engine shop should have the gasket on the shelf. Your guide is bad? I don't think I've seen more than one or two valve guide problems on that series engine since it came out.

Old 04-24-09, 03:53 AM
Well when I did the leakdown test I heard most of the air coming from the exhaust even after I took the rocker arm off. Maybe just carbon buildup on the valve? Just wondering what would cause it to puff a little smoke hear and there and eat oil to begin with? I guess the headgasket could have caused this.