18 Hp Briggs Oil Blowing out of Breather?

Old 04-23-09, 05:10 PM
18 Hp Briggs Oil Blowing out of Breather?

I am ready to pull my hair out! My air filter just gets soaked with oil coming from the breather. I replaced the breather and that did not help. Compression is good on both cylinders. It is a V-twin Horizontal shaft. I don't know what it could be? Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-09, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would help to know what engine you have (numbers please, Briggs made more than one type of 18hp v-twin horizontal), but I'll start with generalized instruction. Check the oil level. Is it too high? Does the oil smell like gas? Is the engine running faster than usual?

Old 04-24-09, 04:43 AM
The numbers are Model 350447 Type 1165-A1 5526 Code 95011211. The oil level is fine. The engine runs good unless I put the air cleaner on and it gets soaked with oil. There is no smoke from the exhaust. The oil smells a bit like gas but not real bad. I just changed the oil. The compression in the cylinders are about 180 psi. Thanks for any help you can give me.. I am stumped.

Old 04-24-09, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
180 PSI??? Are you sure? That's very high...higher than a brand new engine.

From your description, I'd say you likely have a blown head gasket(s). I don't think I ever saw a blown head gasket on that engine, but it sounds like that's likely what's wrong. A leakdown test should prove this.

Old 04-25-09, 05:14 AM
I just replaced the head gasket on the cylinder that had less than 120 psi when I checked them. Now it is still blowing oil through breather. I am pretty sure 180 psi. I will recheck both. I did not recheck either after the head gasket replacement, because I figured that was going to solve my problem but it did not. Thanks for your time

Old 04-25-09, 06:56 AM
18 hp

I am not sure but I would check the rings, does it smoke at all. You have a ring that is a scraper ring that does not apply to compression. Also are you sure you didn't accidentally put in two stroke gas, i've done this before my self. Tony