Craftsman LT1000 riding mower problem

Old 04-23-09, 05:39 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman LT1000 riding mower problem

I got my lawn tractor out yesterday and was able to get it started but when I took my foot off the brake pedal the engine dies. I am able to re-start and keep the engine running fine, as long as I keep my foot on the brake pedal. I attempted engaging the cutting blades and it kills the engine as well!

I can't find any broken belts or see anything that looks out of the ordinary that would be causing this.

The mower has a automatic/fluid transmission and I checked the cutoff switch under the seat ( I've had a couple of people tell me to check this, but IT STARTS!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ClarusMoof

Old 04-23-09, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The mower will start regardless of anyone on the seat or not. The seat switch is probably the problem. Push the connector on tighter (there is a switch inside the connector that shorts across it if it is not plugged on ALL the way TIGHT. I've had to strap them with a cable tie to get them tight enough.

Old 04-24-09, 04:04 AM
C
The mower only starts when someone is sitting on the mower. I've tried that pushing on the connector tighter. Would placing a wire and jumping the connector work?

Old 04-24-09, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You do not have to be sitting in the seat to start the engine! You only have to have the clutch/brake pedal depressed. That's a convenience for us mechanics. No, you can't run a jumper on the newer safety switches, the CPSC has gotten in on the act and made them consumer proof. You'll need to replace the switch.

Old 04-24-09, 08:55 AM
C
Ok, thanks will try replacing switch and see what happens. Will report back.

thanks

Clarusmoof

Old 04-24-09, 10:20 AM
C
So, exactly how would this switch prevent the mower from moving? Is it that the clutch, blade engagement, and seat switch are like a completed ciricuit? Bad switch not releasing something? Just curious.

Thanks

ClarusMoof

Old 04-24-09, 05:36 PM
Yes, it works together with the clutch and blade interlock switches. If the clutch pedal is released and or the blades engaged there must be pressure on the seat switch (operator presence), this way if you fall off while using the mower, it will all shut down.

The seat switch itself may not be the problem, but is easily tested with a multimeter, just test for continuity on the switch when released, should be open when depressed. There is a sensor inside the plug that connects to this switch to prevent the engine from running if it's unplugged. The contacts on this little switch can become corroded and cause this exact type of problem. Try unplugging the switch and using a small screw drive work the sensor in the middle in and out several times, this usually clears up the contact and may take care of your problem. Plug the switch back in and see if it will continue to run when the pedal is released.

Best of Luck....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: