need help sears custom clutch setup

Old 04-23-09, 06:52 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need help sears custom clutch setup

picked up a sears custom not running. had a tecumseh engine and I finally got it running. It smoked a lot and had little power and I found it almost impossible to shift gears as the belt takes off moving when the transmission is in nuteral. unfortunately when you shift from reverse to low you pass through nuteral. once the belt starts moving it will not sycronize and it grinds the gears. I have put a new engine on this unit and set up the clutch and belt just as it was before but to shift gears I have to shut the engine off and put it in the correct gear then restart the engine. as long as the transmission is in gear and the break is engaged the belt does not move. netural doesn't care if the break is engaged or not, the belt takes off. I have tried to come up with some sort of belt break but so far nothing I have come up with works. Need help from someone who knows more than I do which is probably most anyone. I have pictures of the belt/clutch setup with the clutch pushed it and let out. don't know how to attach them to this post but would be glad to send them to anyone who might be able to tell me what I need to do to get this thing to work.

Ron

Old 04-23-09, 08:05 PM
Some model, serial #s of the engine & the mower you have would help the pros a lot.. Just a thought, Do you have the right belt??? The right size pulley on the ""New"" engine?? Check the way the belt goes around the belt fingers as they guide the belts away from the pulleys,,& you didn't leve any of the belt fingers/guides off, did you??? Roger

Old 04-23-09, 09:54 PM
I
craftsman model #91725221, 7 H.P. Custom tractor. Have the parts list from sears web site but can't tell much about how the clutch idler is laid out from their list. I put all the parts back on the tractor that was on it when I started, however have no way of knowing if it was set up right when I got it used, although it did not work right then either. It had an 8 horse engine so it had to have been different than the original. now I have changed the engine again to a non orginal, a 13 hp lifan engine, so there are some major changes here to deal with. I mounted the engine so that the drive shaft and pully are in the exact same place, in relation to the frame, as they were with the 8 hp engine. Did the same with the clutch idler, in relation to the frame. The drive belt is the one the sears parts list calls for. It did not have any kind of belt break on it when I got the tractor.

Ron

Old 04-23-09, 11:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
That's an old one. Can you adjust it so that the tranny belt is looser when you press the clutch?

Old 04-24-09, 09:43 AM
I
There is no adjustment for the clutch idler. It is loose enough for the drive pully to slip, without burning the belt, as long as the clutch is pushed in and the tranny is in gear.

Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: