What should the "oil breather" opening look like?

Old 04-23-09, 07:53 PM
What should the "oil breather" opening look like?

I have a 15.5 OHV B&S engine on my tractor mower, currently I'm getting huge amounts of oil spraying out of my oil breather hose when the engine gets running.

I took off the "oil breather valve" ( not sure the true name ) and it seemed ok, wasn't stuck or overly dirty. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and wiped all the excess dirt off.

When I went to replace it I noticed that the opening on the motor has two holes in the compartment that the breather fits, one obvious factory hole in the upper right hand corner, but in the bottom right hand corner there is a very small hole, about the size of a small flat head screw driver...oil is flowing out of this hole.

My question is, is this normal? Should this opening be there?

When I replace the breather valve I still get oil coming out of the breather hose. So I'm planning on getting a new breather valve just to be sure since I don't know for sure the one I have is good.

But if this hole is not supposed to be there then I have a lot bigger problems.

Thanks,

jt

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-09, 08:14 PM
Maybe Others know what engine you have,,but without any #s, I have no clue.. If you post some engine numbers' The pros will help you out..Is this an OHV Engine?? Roger

Old 04-23-09, 11:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt there is anything wrong with the breather valve. Don't worry about the holes either. You have a crankcase pressure issue. Is the oil overfilled? Does the oil smell like gas? If neither of these are accurate, then I'd say you have a blown head gasket leaking compression into the crankcase.

Old 04-24-09, 05:33 AM
I just went and checked and yes there is a strong smell of gas in the oil.

Thanks for the advice, I will go find a head gasket today and keep my fingers crossed that your right Cheese.

And yes the motor is an OHV ( B&S Model 28N717 )

Thanks,

jt

Old 04-24-09, 07:52 AM
If you have gas in the oil, there is probably an issue with the needle & seat &/or the float in the carb... Roger

Old 04-24-09, 09:56 AM
The head gasket issue is seperate of the fuel-in-oil issue. Take care of the fuel-in-oil issue by removing and reconditioning the carburetor first then worry about if you have a blown head gasket. Post back with your engine's type and code numbers and whether you have a Walbro carb or a Nikki carb and I can provide you with a Briggs rebuild kit part number.

Old 04-24-09, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct....don't go replacing the head gasket. It won't fix the gas in the oil problem. I said "if NEITHER of these are accurate" it could be the head gasket. Since one of them IS accurate, it is not the head gasket. It is a carburetor problem. Clean the carb and replace the inlet needle, verify leak is fixed, then drain gassy oil and refill with new oil. Don't run the engine with the gassy oil in it.

Old 04-25-09, 12:55 PM
Ok I figured if I was going to do I'd just do it all at the same time.

So I got a carb rebuild kit and completely cleaned and rebuilt the carb.

To be on the safe side I went ahead and replaced the head gasket ( figured I had a good part of the motor apart already just knock it out all together. )

I drained the gassy oil (very gassy, lots of oil and gas, more that the 1.5 quarts it should hold )

Refiled with fresh oil and new air filter.

Fired it up and the first try and ran perfect. This morning it still fired up and cut the lawn with ease.

I will recheck the oil after every use for a few weeks to make sure that gas is no longer getting into the oil.

Thanks for all the help guys, every come up to Forsyth County, Georgia let me know, I owe ya a beer.

jt

Old 04-25-09, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good news! Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for the update. Us Georgia folks are gonna need those lawnmowers this spring with all that rain we got a few weeks ago. I hope it doesn't dry out over the summer like it did last year.

Search this Thread