briggs engine rebuild

Old 04-25-09, 08:16 AM
briggs engine rebuild

i aquired a $5 engine with a blown rod. its missing parts so and i was wondering if it would be worth rebuilding. i was thinking of doing it to test my skills. the engine is a briggs model 92908 type 1035-02 code 7102018
this is a list of parts i think it needs. what are the part numbers and are they available. i couldn't find the engine online.the closest i get is 092908-1035-99 the old piston sticks a little depending on its position in the cylinder.

piston
rings
connecting rod
sump gasket
Lock-Piston Pin
pin piston
Tappet-Valve
muffler
Screw-Connecting Rod/Washer
coil
carb

Last edited by flirty1; 04-25-09 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-09, 02:28 PM
From what I found, this engine is a 1971 3.5 - 5 hp. It has points & condenser. How much $$ do you want to invest in it?
The piston is $27. Rod $15. Muffler $15. Carb is obsolete.
You can buy a new 3.5 hp engine for $70. You are going to have well over $100 in parts.

Old 04-26-09, 08:58 AM
it has a coil on it so it must have been upgraded before. forget the carb i will put a new modern carb and tank on it sense there the same. the thing is i never rebuilt a engine before so i want to try my skills at it. is that wrong. can you provide the part numbers. or a link to the engine on a a parts website. the closest i found to this engine is 029208-1035-88. are they the same.

Old 04-26-09, 03:52 PM
Points & condesner sytems still use a coil.

Old 04-26-09, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You asked in your very first post if it was worth rebuilding. Quote: " its missing parts so and i was wondering if it would be worth rebuilding."

Putting that kind of money and time into that engine is not worth it, like indypower said.... you asked, he answered, so why do you say "is that wrong" with the roll eyes smiley?

I agree with indy. I throw away engines better than the one you're asking about. They aren't worth fixing. A new one is cheap.

Now, if you are wanting to rebuild it for the learning experience and don't care if you spend more time and money on it than it's worth, then you need to ask yourself if it's worth it, not us.

Not trying to bust your chops or anything, but when you ask a question here you should expect an accurate answer and respect the person kind enough to give you their time to answer you.

Old 04-27-09, 06:38 AM
Agree with Cheeses and Indy and would also like to add you can tear down and put back together a good engine with just the cost of new gaskets ($10) and get the same learning experience. Secondly I would say it is NOT worth it as you stated that the piston sticks. Most likely it was run low on oil and overheated breaking the rod in the 1st place and the cylinder is most likely scored. So after rebuilding you will have engine that is no good. Of course while rebuilding you could send the block out for honing or boring for an additional $100 but you would now be into it for abot $300. I think that covers all your options, good luck with it.

Old 04-27-09, 08:54 AM
ok will have to find me another engine. the piston sticks depending on how its rotated in the cylinder.

Old 04-27-09, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
ok will have to find me another engine. the piston sticks depending on how its rotated in the cylinder.
Ok. you want a learning experience? Buy a hone and try your hand at honing out the cylinder. You've got nothing to loose and if you want to be rebuilding engines, you will have to hone the cylinders and will need a hone.

Old 04-27-09, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Except this is an aluminum cylinder engine, and honing an aluminum cylinder engine is no good.