Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Techumseh Fuel Leaking from exhaust

04-25-09, 11:47 AM   #1  
Techumseh Fuel Leaking from exhaust

Have an Ariens snowthrower with a Techumseh HSK840 engine on it. Runs great, but fuel is leaking out the exhaust. I assume this is a problem with the carburetor needle valve, but I might be wrong. Any advice?

Sponsored Links

IA

04-25-09, 01:06 PM   #2  
You mean while it's running you have the fuel from the exhaust or before it's started or after shutting it off? It could be the float valve, but those should leak out the bottom of the carburetor when that's the case.

If you have a carb leaking fuel when it's sitting (not running), though usually it's the float valve/float that's at fault. If this is the case, I would replace both the float and valve at the same time. The float isn't that expensive and it's done in one trip.

04-25-09, 01:13 PM   #3  
ok new needle float valve and an new float. Is the float filled with fuel then? And can I usually get those parts in a repair kit?

IA

04-25-09, 01:33 PM   #4  
The float isn't filled with fuel, it has to float. The parts should available from just about any small engine shop or parts retail.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-25-09, 06:26 PM   #5  
Take the float off and shake it near your ear. Do you hear fuel sloshing in it? It may have fuel in it. If so, it is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread