Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler V-Twin Engine Push Rods

04-26-09, 01:13 PM   #1  
Kohler V-Twin Engine Push Rods

Hello All,

I have a John Deere riding mower running a Kohler V-Twin engine. It is about 9 years old and cuts grass about 120 hours per year. It has started to use a bit of oil needless to say, but it has been running great until now. While at work, an operator contacted me stating the mower lost power and smoked a bit and eventually would not run with a load on it. I do not know how long the mower was run this way, but the next day I went to take a look. I figured a plug had failed. After disconnect each plug one at a time I thought I found the bad one. I replaced the plug, but that cylinder still failed to fire. I open the valve cover and to my amazement found both push rods out from underneath the rockers and the guides gone. At this point, I do not know what caused this but would like to throw out to this forum asking if it is a big deal to break down this engine and replace the guides a pushrods? Are they any tolerances that need to be taken into consideration? Any special tools? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Axtell

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-26-09, 11:39 PM   #2  
What model engine is on this? The pushrods are still intact, correct? The guides... what are you referring to? Plastic guides on a metal plate that the pushrods go through?

I'd say it would definitely be worth investigating. If it just needs worn parts in the head replaced and the pushrods reinstalled, then it would be a cheap, fast, easy fix. You might just consider taking the engine off and freshen it up with a new set of rings or whatever it takes to stop the oil burning and get it back into good shape again.

I'm not sure what would have caused the pushrods to come out in the first place other than loss of oil pressure allowing the lifters to collapse.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-27-09, 04:45 AM   #3  
Thanks for repsonding cheese,

The enginer Model # is CV15S-41571. One push rod is bent. Yes, the guides are what the pushrods go through. I checked the oil when I began to take a look at it and it was at the add mark, maybe a tick below. Speaking of oil.... When we bought the mower, we were told to use straight 30 weight. A few years later, the John Deere place told us to switch to 10w-30, so I did and ran it for a couple of years, until a farmer stated he would run nothing but strait 30 in his mowers. I have been probably running straight 30 again for a couple of years. We are in central NC so highs in the summer can reach mid-upper 90s, not counting the heat index.

Axtell

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-09, 12:05 AM   #4  
If the engine runs smoothly and has no lifter noise with 30, it is fine. I use sae30 in almost all engines. Some kohlers have less lifter noise with 10-30, but 30 works well in most of them. The bent pushrod could be caused by a number of things. Can you work the valves manually?

God bless!

04-29-09, 01:01 PM   #5  
Thank you for th info on the oil. I pressed in one of the valves in with my hand and it seemed to work ok. I have no clue why I did'nt push the other one in, but neither appeared to be damaged on the outside and the pushrods didn't skewer the rocker arms.

05-10-09, 11:52 AM   #6  
I decided to take the JD to the shop. I wouldn't have minded tackling the project myself, but it is the growing season. Here is what they found. "Check compression, found low. Pull cylinder head off and valve bad." I don't know which one. They did not say. "Replaced valve. Rebuilt head and replaced push rods. Replaced air filter". Labor $210 (3 hrs) and parts $111. I hope I can get 3 or 4 more years out of it.

Parts replaced:
--------------
1 - Intake Valve
1 - Exhaust Valve
5 - Gaskets
2 - Push Rods
2 - Seals
2 - Plugs
1 - Engine Cyl
1 - Filter

Thought I would let you know. Thanks for replying to my posts, Cheese!

Axtell

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-09, 11:09 PM   #7  
Sounds about right! Glad you got it fixed, and hopefully it will last a long time. Thanks for the update!

God bless!

Search this Thread