Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GCV160 lawnmower won't start

MA

04-26-09, 07:11 PM   #1  
Honda GCV160 lawnmower won't start

Model No: HRT216KTDA
Engine Serial No: GJAEA-1235387

Found this on trash day last fall. Very clean outside, looked brand new. Closer look last week - Would not start; removed carb. Quite gunky inside (I have a Toro with a honda GCV engine, and similar if not identical carb - which is clean). Cleaned with carb cleaner and soaked nozzle and main jet overnight.

Also did research on web and found an excellent GCV Check Sheet for this model here.

Installed and tried to start. No good.

Looked closely at main jet and discovered the hole was plugged. re-cleaned. soaked again with nozzle. Nozzle not sliding in the hole as smoothly as my toro carb. Squirt, squirt. Finally satisfied that nozzle and main jet ungunked. took off idle set screw and and squirted down the pilot jet access. Did not mess with the pilot screw.

Installed and tried to start. No good. Shot some starter fluid into throat of carb (air cleaner off). Engine started but only for a few seconds. Repeat a few times with same result. At least the ignition is good.

I noticed that during this procedure both butterfly valves were open. Shouldn't at least one of them be closed? I don't think I mis-connected them on re-installation.

Any advice?

Last edited by eyetrply; 04-26-09 at 07:14 PM. Reason: mis-placed smiley

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-26-09, 10:43 PM   #2  
You probably want the choke valve closed, but the throttle valve open during starting.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MA

06-19-09, 06:17 PM   #3  
new carb

Bought a new Honda carb and installed. One squirt of starter fluid into the throat of the carb and started on the second pull. This time, the mower works. After a few minutes took it out for 10 min of nice mowing.

Stopped engine. Waited about 30 sec and pulled the starter again - started up again!

Back to the garage, and waited for about an hour. Tried to start, but NG. Another squirt of starter fluid, and it's running again.

What gives?

Thanks.

TX

06-19-09, 06:50 PM   #4  
Is the choke plate closing when the throttle is in the choke position?

May need to adjust the linkages or throttle control cable.

MA

06-19-09, 07:10 PM   #5  
the choke plate!

The choke plate is on the air cleaner side of the carb, right? If so...

The choke plate does not close at any setting of the throttle lever (from turtle (idle)to rabbit (full throttle)).

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-09, 08:02 PM   #6  
That's the problem. Either you don't have it connected right, or the throttle cable is not adjusted properly. The choke should close with the throttle above rabbit.

God bless!

MA

06-20-09, 06:37 AM   #7  
I would like to attach a photo of the control linkage to the carburetor. How do I do that?

Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-20-09, 09:51 AM   #8  
I never sat down and figured out how to post pics on here. You can download them on photobucket and post a link to them here.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-20-09, 10:12 AM   #9  
You need to upload your image to a separate location such as photobucket or your own home page...etc.
Then you can insert an image in the body of your message using the url/location of the image.

MA

06-20-09, 04:17 PM   #10  
making progress (?)

Thanks for the hints on how to show/link photos: If you go here, you will see photos of the carburetor and linkage assembly:

1 & 2: the new carburetor with throttle and choke connected.
3 & 4: photos of throttle lever in open (choke) and closed (idle) positions.
5 & 6: photos of carb, etc. with throttle open - photo 6 shows my finger lifting the choke tab to close the choke.
7: carb, etc, with throttle in idle position.

I fooled around with that hex nut to the right of my finger in photo 6, and loosened the whole choke actuator assembly. When I open the throttle, the lower part of the choke lever (visible in pic 5, hidden by my finger in pic 6) runs into a stop on the spring assembly (check out pic 2) and prevents that unloader tang (located just under the rectangular window with the choke tab) from pushing up the choke tab and closing the choke.

I've heard that some of these levers and tabs can get bent during service - could that be the case here?

Sorry about all these new words - I don't know the lingo, but the photos are well annotated.

Cheese: from this can you explain the adjustment procedure that allows closing the choke?

Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-20-09, 07:21 PM   #11  
Loosen the hold down for the cable at the carb end. Place the throttle in the choke position and push the entire cable in the same direction the inner cable moves to full throttle. See if the choke closes if so then tighten down the hold down.
I think there is a cam affair on the back side that engages the choke linkage when the throttle linkage is moved far enough.

You can try moving the throttle cam with the cable completely off also to observe operation then just adjust the cable so it can travel to both ends.

Hope I haven't confused you as much as I have myself...if so sorry surely someone can fill in the blanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-20-09, 07:43 PM   #12  
Ha! Where'd you find that pic BFHFixit?!! That's the racing mower I built for the guy you see spinning donuts on it. Dang thing nearly ruined a good set of underwear when I rode a wheelie ~35 yards on it. I outran a guy on a 4-wheeler with it. You should have seen his face, lol! I'll never forget.

Eyetrply, I agree with the advice posted above about adjusting the throttle cable.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-20-09, 08:18 PM   #13  
Posted By: cheese Ha! Where'd you find that pic BFHFixit?!! That's the racing mower I built for the guy you see spinning donuts on it. Dang thing nearly ruined a good set of underwear when I rode a wheelie ~35 yards on it. I outran a guy on a 4-wheeler with it. You should have seen his face, lol! I'll never forget.
I got the rest of em too cheese, you emailed them to me quite some time back

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-21-09, 08:37 PM   #14  
Lol...were you using your current name back then? I remember emailing them, but to someone else. (Aizs?)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 06-21-09 at 08:55 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-21-09, 10:20 PM   #15  
Ya Azis
I lost my shop when the city limits expanded and put in a housing development so I was out of the biz for a couple of years. But after being laid off 5 times in those 2 years I am back at it fer myself.

Ne way I guess they clean up inactive members rather frequently.

Still have the pics in my album here Scotts Snaps

MA

07-12-09, 06:25 PM   #16  
Problem Solved!

Thanks BFHFixit, I did just what you recommended and it fired right up! Beer 4U2

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

07-13-09, 03:49 PM   #17  
Good Job! Thx for the report.

Search this Thread