Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replace Governor on Briggs 16HP twin

PA

04-27-09, 02:19 PM   #1  
Replace Governor on Briggs 16HP twin

I have B&S 16hp horizontal opposed twin engine. i was cutting grass and I heard a gravely sound from the engine, and then the rpms shot up. I shut it down immediately, but now the engine races as soon as I start it up.

I think the governor flew apart. How difficult is it to get at the governor? I can access the front engine plate without removing from tractor...can this be done without pulling the engine?

Briggs S: 402437 0666

thanks for any help

Ed

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-09, 11:52 PM   #2  
Make sure the throttle plate didn't come out of the carb and get sucked into the engine. If not, then the governor could be the fault. I don't know which 16hp engine you have, but most of the horizontals can be opened up while still mounted on the frame.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

05-11-09, 08:11 PM   #3  
briggs governor problem

My engine is horizontal opposed 16hp 4024370666. I opened up the crankcase cover and found the governor gear had 14 stripped off teeth. I found all the teeth in the oil pan, cleaned up everything and replaced the governor unit with gear, fly weights etc.

Now, I am trying to follow the static adjustment procedure in the briggs manual. It says to loosen the governor nut, rotate the governor arm counterclock wise, rotate the shaft clockwise and tighten the nut to 100 inlbs. My problem is this: if I tighten the nut to the shaft, nothing will move, the throttle lever is frozen. If I loosen the govenor nut, the shaft only turns about 1/16th of a turn, or less. Did I miss something in the re-assembly? How much should that shaft going down to the paddle that rides on the flyweights turn?

I would appreciate any help.

thanks,

Ed

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-09, 09:49 PM   #4  
Sounds to me like you have something bound up inside. Open it back up and have a look. The governor shaft generally has more movement than 1/16 of a turn without the arm attached. I wonder why the teeth were stripped, and if something bent the tab on the governor arm?

God bless!

PA

05-12-09, 05:24 AM   #5  
the shaft and tab (inside the crankcase that hits against the fly weights) seemed to move freely before I put the case back on. the engine runs and idles down, so it seems the governor is doing something. when this first happened, the rpms would take off and would not slow down with throttle position movement and I had to shut it down immediately before it blew up. maybe its working correctly and i just dont know it?

i suspect i don't quite "get it" with how the governor system works all that well.

I wonder too about what caused the teeth to strip. I thought either just one tooth gave out from being 22 years old,and the rest followed (14 continous teeth came off), or something got in between the teeth like a bit of metal or something. the teeth all looked intact after I picked them out of the oil pan, but there were what seemed to me, a lot of metal filings on my magnet that I collected from the drained oil.

thanks for your previous advice.

Ed

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-09, 12:21 AM   #6  
Well, if the engine operates steadily at all speed ranges, then I'd say the governor is working properly.

The governor opens the throttle when the engine rpm drops low enough that the force of the flyweights can overcome the tension of the spring on the governor arm which is increased or decreased depending on the throttle control setting. This regulates rpm within a specified number of rpms within the range of the throttle control travel.

God bless!

PA

05-14-09, 06:58 AM   #7  
Cheese, thanks for the reply. I am trying to go step by through the briggs manual and make sure all the linkages etc. are connected and adjusted. I appreciate your help.

Ed

Search this Thread