toro personal pace 20037 just stalled

Old 04-27-09, 03:55 PM
toro personal pace 20037 just stalled

My toro has a 6.5 horse Briggs and Stratton model 123k02. Today while cutting the lawn it just stopped. It will only start and run if I hold the choke open by hand. When I let the choke go it just stalls. The carb is clean fresh gas and a good spark. Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-09, 04:38 PM
Try loosening the gas cap. Gas cap vent may be clogged.

Old 04-27-09, 04:58 PM
tried the gas cap no help

Old 04-27-09, 07:23 PM
The IPL for your mower shows a primer and no choke, is it the throttle you are holding open to get it running??

Perhaps the governor spring came off the throttle or may have broken.

Old 04-28-09, 04:31 AM
Yes it is the throttle I am holding open. The small spring is attached, but the pressure to keep the throttle closed is much stronger than the spring. To keep the engine running I need to put a lot of pressure on the throttle to keep it open.

Old 04-28-09, 04:34 AM
If the gas you are running is ethanol blend then this is likely the problem. If not, then the carburetor is not as clean as you think.

Old 04-28-09, 05:01 AM
If I hold the throttle open it will start and run fine. The throttle closes and it stalls as soon as I let it go. it ran fine untill it just stopped in the middle of the yard.

Old 04-28-09, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by bigssab View Post
If I hold the throttle open it will start and run fine. The throttle closes and it stalls as soon as I let it go. it ran fine untill it just stopped in the middle of the yard.
If the spring is still attached but does not provide enough tension to keep the throttle open, then perhaps the lever where it attaches to somehow got bumped and bent and is not applying enough tension to the spring.

Old 04-28-09, 06:17 AM
It was my Father that was using the mower and he just told me it stalled while cutting under the shrubs. Could he have bent something . Where should I look, around the spring?

Old 04-28-09, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by bigssab View Post
It was my Father that was using the mower and he just told me it stalled while cutting under the shrubs. Could he have bent something . Where should I look, around the spring?
Yes, it's possible that when mowing around shrubbery that a branch can push on the tang where the spring attaches and bend it in, this will cause the spring to have very little if any tension on it and the throttle will close. If this happens then the engine will not run as the newer engines do not have idle stop screws and the throttle will close all the way and the engine will die. If there is no tension on the governor spring, then the tab must have been pushed or bent inwards towards the carburetor, try bending it out a little and see if the engine will continue to run. You really need a tachometer to set the proper engine speed, as you do not want the engine running too fast.

Old 04-29-09, 02:26 PM
That was the problem, the tang was bent in. I moved it out a little putting pressure on the spring and it started. I had to give it a little throttle at first but then it started and ran fine. After it cooled off it would not start. I moved the tang in a little and then it started,after giving it a little extra throttle again. I do not have a tac is there anyway to adjust this without one. Thanks

Old 04-30-09, 02:46 PM
This still will not start unless I take of the cover and play with the throttle. Once I get it started it runs great and will keep starting until it gets cold. Then nothing.

Old 04-30-09, 03:34 PM
Tell us your priming procedures for a hot and cold engine. This alone may be your trouble.

Old 04-30-09, 03:59 PM
He tried priming it twice when it is cold like the book said and nothing. I had him prime it six times this morning and nothing. When it is hot it never had to be primed and it would start right up. He has been using this mower for five years without any problems. It always started first or second pull. It all started when he banged the shrubs and it just stopped.

Old 04-30-09, 08:36 PM
Perhaps he also knocked the air filter base loose, or have you had it off??

There is a gasket that goes between the air filter base and the carburetor that seals the primer port to the carburetor, if it's leaking then the primer may not be working. You should be able to look into the throat of the carburetor and see fuel spray out of the carburetor jet when the primer bulb is pushed.

Old 05-02-09, 03:37 PM
I did have the base off because it was a little loose. I think he hit that on the shrubs to. I did not notice any gas spraying when I hit the primer. When I took the base off there was some dirt in the little channels by the primer. I will take it apart again clean it good and see if I can see any gas spraying. Thanks for the help I will let you know I make out. Thanks

Old 05-04-09, 04:14 PM
I put on a new gasket on the aircleaner, you were right the old one was in poor shape. The primer is now working. After a few tries it started and ran fine. After it was off for a few hours it would not start. I am going to try to adjust the tension on the throttle spring tomorrow. How tight should it be? The whole problem started when he bent the the bracket the spring connects to and it had no tension at all.