Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine swap alternator wiring question.

IL

04-28-09, 09:52 PM   #1  
Engine swap alternator wiring question.

I bought a used Craftsman riding mower model 917.255590. It had a Briggs & Stratton 12.5 hp I/C engine. I can't find an engine model number. Regardless the engine is toast, the previous owner disentegrated the piston rod, which chewed up the crank. Not worth rebuilding.

I have a 12hp I/C Briggs & Stratton on a Lawn Chief. Lawn Chief is toast. B&S model number 281707, Type 0179-01.

Tonight I swapped the two engines. I put the 12hp on the Craftsmen tractor.

My only concern is the alternator. The 12hp has one red wire leading to the alt, while the 12.5hp has two wires (black/red) leading to the alt. The black/red wires connect to orange/red wires.

What is my best approach?
Can I just swap the alternator?

Thanks!
Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-09, 10:00 PM   #2  
Yes, you can just swap the alternator, or if having working headlights is of no concern, then just connect the single alternator wire to where the red one from the old engine would connect on the mower harness. Don't clip the diode off of the wire (under the black shrink wrap just before the connector).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

04-28-09, 10:55 PM   #3  
Thanks Cheese.

I love it when manufactures make things interchangeable. One of the reasons I love Briggs & Strattona nd Chevy.

Beer 4U2

Search this Thread