Yard Machine Edger Spill Oil at Muffler

Old 04-16-09, 10:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yard Machine Edger Spill Oil at Muffler

When I try to start my MTD edger that is using Briggs & Stratton engine, the engine will run only few seconds and then stop. After that, I can see oil at the muffler part. I have leave the machine to rest for several days but it still doing the same thing. Can anyone tell me what wrong with my edger?

Old 04-16-09, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Does it smoke? What engine is on it?

Old 04-17-09, 03:13 PM
J
Hi Cheese,

After I prime and pull the cord, the engine will run for 3-4 seconds only. It emits black smoke first then white smoke. You can see oil leak at the muffler part. It is a Yard Machine push edger.

Old 04-17-09, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine?????.....................

Old 04-17-09, 10:46 PM
J
Sorry. It is using Briggs & Stratton engine.

Model Type Code
9L902 0283 E1 04050351

Old 04-18-09, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On that engine, a clogged air filter will cause the problems you described. Take the filter out and wash it, dry it, and soak it with new oil and wring it out.

Old 04-19-09, 08:02 AM
J
I bought a new air filter and then put it in but it still have the same problem. Any other suggestion?

Old 04-19-09, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
During the few seconds it does run, is it revving up really high (higher than normal)? Is the oil level overfull? If neither is the case, I'd say you need to remove the carburetor and replace the diaphragm.

Old 04-19-09, 07:41 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
First make sure the oil is not over full as cheese suggested and if it is ok;
You need to install a new diaphram kit, it is Briggs part # 795083 or old # 495770 also Lowe's has a kit #5083 which has the same parts.

Here we go;
Remove air cleaner, there are 2 bolts that hold things together, one on the front of the tank 3/8" and one into the block 1/2", remove these bolts, now "slowly" slide the carb/tank off the intake tube and breather tube, now tilt the tank in to release the throttle linkage and waalaa the carb/tank is removed. Remove the 5 screws from the carb/tank remove carb(don't loose the spring) now spray all holes, cracks and crevases in both the carb and tank surface with brake parts cleaner, remove the main screen(looks like a thimble) with a small screwdriver pry out the main jet(carefully) and clean it, reinstall the jet, it can be difficult some times to get it to snap back in place(I use the rounded end of a screwdriver handle). Remove and clean the fuel pickup stem. Clean any junk/rust from the tank. Install the diaphram on the tank then the gasket(no goo or sealer) now carefully replace the carb(the spring will try to misalign the diaphram), tighten all screws a little at a time so as not to crimp the diaphram until they are all tight. Install the carb/tank in reverse order and you are done. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will correct me. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-20-09, 11:36 AM
S
2 or 4 cycle

If 2 cycle too much oil in mixture.

Old 04-20-09, 04:46 PM
F
Originally Posted by cheese
During the few seconds it does run, is it revving up really high (higher than normal)? Is the oil level overfull? If neither is the case, I'd say you need to remove the carburetor and replace the diaphragm.
Cheese,

I have the same problem with my MTD edger. It is the same model for the engine. It was 2004, but I hardly use it.

- I took the filter out, watch and make sure that I prime some gas into it. I have to be push real quick to get some gas in.
- It will run for 1-2 seconds, revving up high and stop.

It looks to me there is something wrong the gasline, or the gas is not getting into the engine some how.

Thanks

Old 04-20-09, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
fz318, follow geo's advice above for replacing the diaphragm.

Old 04-25-09, 07:27 PM
J
Hi cheese or geogrubb,

Just got the chance to work on it this afternoon.

After pouring some of the oil out, it starts to run more than 30 seconds. When I saw a lot of white smoke came out from the muffler and afraid that I will overheat the engine, I stop it.

Does this mean that my problem is just because the oil is over full? Are those white smoke caused by the oil residual in the muffler when I pour the oil out?

Please advise. Thank you.

Old 04-25-09, 09:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the oil was overfilled, then yes, the white smoke is probably because of that. The white smoke you see now may be from residual oil in the cylinder and muffler. If the oil is up to the full mark, then crank it up and let it burn off the residual oil in the cylinder and muffler. It may take 2-3 minutes.

Old 04-26-09, 10:36 AM
F
Originally Posted by cheese
fz318, follow geo's advice above for replacing the diaphragm.
Hi Cheese,

I tried today replaced the diaphragm. Still having the same problem.
I do think this to something to do with the fuel pipe:
- there are 2 fuel pipe under the carb;
- a long one connect with the prime;
- another short one with a main screen. the diaphragm kit comes with a replace screen for it.
I tried to blow thru both fuel pipe, the long is ok. But I can not blow thru the short one.

This explains that if I prime it about 10-15 times, it will start and run for a 1-2 seconds, until it uses up all the prime-in fuel.

Am I understand this right?
If I am right, is there a way to fix the fuel pipe?

Old 04-27-09, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use carb cleaner to clean all the passages in the carb and make sure none of the jets are loose in the carb.

Old 04-29-09, 06:07 PM
V
Same issue - same edger/motor.

So how is the oil getting into the combustion chamber and then into the muffler? I am having this issue and have double checked to make sure the oil level is correct. After sitting a while, oil will start to drip out of the muffler. I was thinking that there must be some sort of oil seal at the exhaust valve that is allowing the oil to enter the combustion chamber and then to leak out of the muffler?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: