craftsman riding mower HELP ME PLEASE

Old 04-29-09, 06:11 PM
craftsman riding mower HELP ME PLEASE

Okay guys nice to meet everyone im a noob here LOL
Okay i have a almost 1 year old craftsman riding mowerModel #917287120 the motor says 20HP intekplus,I asked my son to mow the yard BUT before he could mow he had to replace the battery in it ,so he said he new how and i said okay .Well he says dad it wont start and he pulls the battery charger out and trys to boost it off with no luck he calls for me,i look at it and instantly see that he has the battery termanils backwurds ,so i fix the problem,well it wouldnt even turn over at all nothing no clicks nothing.So i hook the battery chargher to it and it chargers for a few and finally it has a full charge,still nothing .So i go and buy a new cylinoid and put it on ,NOTHING again ,so i try and start it with the cylinoid yes i put a screw diver on the + and - and hey it fires up with no problems,so i trace my wires and they all look good no burns nothing ,the manual says it has a 30 amp fuse behind the dash but the only fuse i can find is a 20 amp and it is good .So what else can i do to fix this thing please help and thanks so much for your time.
David

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-09, 06:15 PM
Also i made sure that the seat was down and that the brake was on and the blades was off,im going crazy

Old 04-29-09, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check the fuse, or just look at it? Try a new fuse. The fuse should have blown.

Old 04-30-09, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Did you check the fuse, or just look at it? Try a new fuse. The fuse should have blown.
Yes sir i checked the fuse with a volt meter by touching each blade and it does have power all the way through it,why would there be a 20 amp fuse in it ,and the manual calls for a 30 amp ?i guess i could throw a 30 amp in it and just see what happens.
Thanks David

Old 04-30-09, 04:34 AM
First test the solenoid to see if you're getting 12V to the energizing terminal (the small terminal coming from the key switch) and if this tests okay then test both the clutch and PTO safety switches.

Old 04-30-09, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
First test the solenoid to see if you're getting 12V to the energizing terminal (the small terminal coming from the key switch) and if this tests okay then test both the clutch and PTO safety switches.
Thank you sir for your help i will be testing these things in just a lil while and let you know what i find .
Thanks David

Old 04-30-09, 04:15 PM
To clarify, when the key is moved to the start position you should have a 12V test light, light up at the energizing terminal of the solenoid...or show 12V+- with a meter. The safety switches, generally, should show no continuity when depressed whereas it doesn't allow current to get to the ground (kill) circuit.

Old 04-30-09, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
To clarify, when the key is moved to the start position you should have a 12V test light, light up at the energizing terminal of the solenoid...or show 12V+- with a meter. The safety switches, generally, should show no continuity when depressed whereas it doesn't allow current to get to the ground (kill) circuit.
OK just this is crazy ,i was hooking the battery back up and was about to test the wire (the lil white one going in to the solenoid) i had my son to sit on the mower and do everything like we was going to start it ,well he turns the key on as i bend down to chk the wire and bam it starts up,I was like thats nuts,anyway i put it all back together the dash blah blah blah ,jumped on it fired it rite up rode around the yard then decided to park it ,well i thought i would give it another turn just to see and guess what,Yep it wouldnt even turn over.So once again i start to chk the white wire and have my son do the same thing ,he turned the switch over and there was nothing ,i checked the wire coming into the solenoid from the battery at first nothing chked coming out nothing,i thought maybe i just didnt have a good ground ,so chked again when i touched it this time it fired up again .im so lost maybe the switch ?I cant figure it out.Maybe i have gremlins in the mower anyway what next LOL thanks guys for your help.
Thanks David

Old 04-30-09, 11:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure the battery connections are good and tight, not just finger tight.

Old 05-01-09, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Make sure the battery connections are good and tight, not just finger tight.
yes sir have tighten them with a wrench,and made sure that they are tight and clean.
Thanks David

Old 05-01-09, 04:37 AM
Remove the ground cable (originating from the negative terminal of the battery) at the frame and clean the cable end up with emery cloth and clean any rust and paint from the frame where it attaches.

Old 05-02-09, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys for all the help,although its rainging like somthing crazy here in Dalton GA ,i went out to look at the mower and it fired up with no hesitation,Although i will be pulling the ground As puey61 Has stated and cleaning it just to make sure im getting a good ground.Thanks Guys so much for all your help.I really do appriciate it so much.
Thanks David

Search this Thread