Bolens Riding Mower Won't Start

Old 04-30-09, 08:53 AM
Bolens Riding Mower Won't Start

Older Bolens Lawn Tractor - model 683, I think (Model No. says: 13AN683G163, from Lowe's circa 2003) - which has been working fine...had several overhauls by local shop (2006, 07, 08) and was working last Sunday just fine. Shut it down for 3-4 minutes to empty grass baggers and then it wouldn't turn over. Battery is OK (I recharged it, but that was not the issue). I can see the underseat kill switch is OK (breaks contact when you're on/makes when you're off). I've wiggled the lines to the starter switch and to exposed connectors. I even lightly "malletized" the starter. All to no effect. No click even when the starter switch is turned on. Any expert suggestions, before I begin taking off panels and trying to follow wiring to correct my problem? TIA. (Didn't find this as a problem when searching old threads...so here I am as a DIY.com newbie.)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-09, 01:47 PM
I would think in terms of the ignition switch, the solenoid for the starter, or the battery/starter cable connections.

First clean all your cable connections (both ends including ground). If nada, then go to the solenoid- there will be a cable coming from the battery and the other side going to the starter. Try jumping around the solenoid and see if the starter kicks over. If it does, check the small wire going to the solenoid for current when you turn the ignition switch to start. If you have that current, the problem is the starter solenoid.

Old 04-30-09, 04:22 PM
Are you certain you have the blade clutch disengaged, doubly certain and even triply certain? The seat switch has nothing to do with the start circuit, only the kill circuit. Do yourself a $180 favor and never bang the starter, the magnets are very fragile and if you crack one you'll be installing a new starter motor. If the blade is indeed disengaged check your inline fuse behind the dash panel for being blown.