Engine Rebuild/Short block/Replacement Decision

Old 05-01-09, 09:39 AM
Engine Rebuild/Short block/Replacement Decision

I have a 2001 Craftsman riding mower model 917.270712. The Mower has a Briggs 17HP motor 311707-0132-E1. I have self-diagonsed the motor as having a bent crankshaft due to the fact that the engine vibrates and runs extremely loud with the pulley and belts removed from the crank. You can actually see the excessive runout of the shaft. It also adds up because I bought the mower cheap with a bent blade and damaged mandrel that was replaced about 1.5 years ago. Other than the noise/vibration issue, the engine will run and the tractor is in pretty good shape for the year. No deck rust etc.

My question is - would you replace the crank and bearings and whatever else might be damaged internally (~$90+ for the crankshaft alone), put a new short-block on it (~$350), or replace the engine (~$450), or replace the mower? I am sort of torn on what to do. I have thought about a used motor also, but I don't like the idea of getting into problems with an uncertain history. Looking for opinions on this, as well as other peoples experience. Thank-you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-09, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd put a crankshaft in it if it is in good shape otherwise. Open it up and see. Are you sure the engine bolts aren't just lose, allowing the engine to shake on the frame and appear to have a wobble? I have only very rarely seen a bent crankshaft on larger engines like yours. It takes one heck of a lick to bend one, so it doesn't happen often.

Old 05-04-09, 09:34 AM
I'll have to double check the engine bolts - I haven't had the engine completely apart, but from what I can see in the head with the exhaust, carb, and valve cover off, there are no obivious other problems - except some carbon build up on the piston. If I am in it far enough to replace the crank, wouldn't it make sense to have the piston bore cleaned up and put new rings in as well in a 2001?

Old 05-04-09, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure, if it looks like it may benefit from it. If the ring end gaps are excessive, or close to it, hone it and put some new ones in. Same with any other parts. Check ebay for a crankshaft...you can find deals.