Toro 51940 brushcutter attachment problem

Old 05-01-09, 01:10 PM
Question Toro 51940 brushcutter attachment problem

Hi,

I hope I can explain this well enough to not sound too dumb.

I have a Toro 51940 18" straight shaft gas trimmer/brushcutter. Love it. Runs great. Last weekend I put an edger attachment on and did the driveway and sidewalk then wanted to put the trimmer attachment back on to trim.

I can't get the trimmer (or any other attachment now) to push on far enough for the clicky button to pop into the hole. It stops about 3/8" short. I can hear the end of the drive shaft from the engine being pushed up toward the engine, I can turn the shaft by hand and hear it spin at the engine end...and can turn the attachment shaft and it spins the edger or trimmer head.

It's as if the shaft has somehow grown. I took the thing apart but couldn't figure out how to get the shaft out of the rod to look at it. The User's manual has no parts diagram and I can't seem to find one online anywhere.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? It's happened before but usually doesn't last long, just to where I assume things had expanded from heat....but it's had all week to cool down and I still can't get the attachments connected to the engine end.

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-09, 03:24 PM
Look at the drive shaft (inside the housing at the point of attachment) and see if it is mushroomed. If not, you may simply need to spin the head as you're assembling it so the the male & female shafts line up perfectly.

Old 05-01-09, 04:33 PM
Or the same thing as Puey stated could have happened at the top next to the clutch housing and will take basicly the same procedure as he stated for the bottom. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-01-09, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
Look at the drive shaft (inside the housing at the point of attachment) and see if it is mushroomed. If not, you may simply need to spin the head as you're assembling it so the the male & female shafts line up perfectly.
Well, end of the drive shaft, the female end, does not look as nice and "clean" as I'd expect and probably is what you're referring to as mushroomed. I've tried rotating the attachment to line up the shafts but that hasn't made a difference.

So assuming what I'm looking at is "mushroomed", what can be done about that, if anything?

Thanks for the help,
Matt

Old 05-02-09, 05:55 AM
Without seeing it in person, it sounds like replacement of the affected part is the only option for you. See your local Toro dealer.