Wizard lawn tractor

Old 05-02-09, 08:14 AM
Wizard lawn tractor

Great site! I looked for the answer & wasn't able to find one so here goes my question.....

I have a Wizard tractor that started just fine with a new battery after 2 years of not using it. But, when I put it in gear it won't move. Nothing, nada, nope...... The blades engage fine but she just doesn't want to move - forward, backward, nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - in total noobie terms please. This is my first endeavour into fixing a machine!!! Thanks in advance for your help......

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-09, 04:50 PM
I'm not familliar with Wizard equipment.. However, check the drive belt to verify it's on & check to see if it tightens when the clutch is disengaged,,Verify it's properly routed around all the pulleys & belt fingers... Since it's been sitting for a couple of years, verify the brake isn't stuck on... Did you fix a flat tire, "Cus if so, the key in the axle/hub may have fallen out... Maybe give the pro's some model & serial numbers & some more detail what you did to get it going.. Good Luck,, Thanks.... Roger

Old 05-02-09, 08:58 PM
Wizard was made by MTD and usually sold at smaller non-affiliated hardware stores. Do you have a model number?

Old 05-03-09, 03:30 AM
Thanks guys - No tire fixing needed. Just a little air in one tire had to be added.

I'll look for the model number & get back with that. I found a manual so I'm going to take a look at that too and see if I can find anything in it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 05-03-09, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Wizard" was sold by Western Auto, and they are built by AYP (American Yard Products).

In the past they have been built by MTD, AYP, Murray, and Toro. I think Dynamark and Noma also built some back when they existed. I guess it could be anything, but the model # will tell. If it was built in the last decade or so, I'd say it is an AYP and you can get parts from any small engine shop.