Ryobi 700r - runs for a few seconds, stops

Old 05-03-09, 01:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ryobi 700r - runs for a few seconds, stops

Hi everyone..

I manage a friends rental for him while he lives out of town.. and this Ryobi lives at the rental, so I havent played with it much. Tenant told me it 'didnt run' so Ive brought it home. Very familiar / comfortable with car engines, but havent played with 2 stroke stuff before.

After a few tries, and figuring out the choke on this, with no throttle, I can make it run for 2-10 seconds on 'partial (b)' or 'run (c)', quite smokey etc.. (normal for 2 stroke?) but if I try and give it throttle, it dies suddenly.

If I hold the throttle wide open and then pull the starter, it'll run for a few seconds, then dies suddenly.

If both cases, if I try and vary the throttle at all, it dies.

Ive pulled the plug, gave the electrodes a wipe down and a quick sand to remove a light black deposit on both and made no difference.

Suggestions on what to look at next on these?

thanks,

Brett

Old 05-03-09, 01:31 PM
M
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Check the fuel filter, fuel cap for venting, but it's probably in the diaphragm in the carburetor = needs a kit put in it.

You might try Sea Foam in the gas (from auto parts store), but it sounds like it may be beyond an additive.

Old 05-03-09, 01:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply..

I did notice a buildup of vacuum in the fuel tank when I cracked the cap now and then.. I tried running it with the cap off in case that was it.. After some googling about, it looks like the filters in the tank itself.. I didnt see one externally when I was lookin before.. I'll go have a look at that.

thanks,

brett

Old 05-03-09, 03:59 PM
M
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
If you fish around in the tank you'll find a fuel filter attached to a short fuel line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: