Operating angle for a 9hp Briggs Vanguard

Old 05-04-09, 06:54 AM
Operating angle for a 9hp Briggs Vanguard

I re-powered my old tiller with a 9hp Vanguard, horizontal shaft. The tiller positions the motor with crank end lower than the recoil end. This is even more exaggerated when going up hill. Due to this angle the low oil cut-out kept tripping. I tried overfilling the oil, but that didn't fix the problem, so I disconnected the low oil switch altogether. Is this a splash lubricated motor, and is there stuff on the crank end of this motor to splash the oil around? Should I drain the oil and refill to the correct level or should I leave it a bit overfull? I filled it to the bottom of the fill hole (with the engine level) which is about an inch over the full mark on the dip stick.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-09, 10:12 AM
Briggs manufacturers engines with 5 different possible lubrication systems. Without your specific engine ID numbers I can't tell you what you have. Briggs leaves it up to the OEM's engineers to determine which, of the five, they care to use on any given application. What I'll say is that most tillers would not have a low oil shut-down because of the lean angles involved so I would disable the sending unit if I were you. Be sure - on any engine - to fill the oil when the engine is at its level, whether vertical or horizontal. Not level on the unit it is mounted to. Do not overfill the crankcase!

Old 05-05-09, 04:13 AM
It's a model 185432 type 0235E1 code 04102949. The low oil shut off has already been disconnected. I'm just a little concerned as to whether or not it is getting the proper or at least acceptable lubrication. I'll reset the oil to the proper level before the next time I use it.