Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need Advice On New Riding Mower

MN

05-04-09, 01:28 PM   #1  
Need Advice On New Riding Mower

Daughter wrote and I have no idea what to tell her.

"We need a riding lawn mower that is gonna last for us. Nothing fancy, we have a 1 acre lot that's completely flat. We have a Walmart, menards, home depot, lowes, sears, northern tool and equipment and fleet farm all within about 25 miles of us."

Note: she is 5'5 and her husband is 6'6 and well over 200# so they'll need an easily adjustable seat. I did tell her to go to a dealer, read here they have higher quality than a big box store.

Anything else I can tell her? I like my rear engine MTD but I don't know if that would hold up her giant husband.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Sponsored Links

NH

05-04-09, 02:10 PM   #2  
With a 1 acre lot to mow, I would go with at least a 46" deck. As far as adjustable seats goes, they are all adjustable but you need to get out the rachet wrench to adjust them. How much money do they want to spend? Have you looked at Zero turns? No seat adjustments necessary on those.

MN

05-04-09, 02:53 PM   #3  
She says one acre but that includes a four bedroom house, 3 stall garage with a blacktopped driveway. They just bought the house a month or so ago so I don't suppose they are flush with cash. They are rather frugal and HATE using credit cards. Wish my son was like that.

If it were me I'd get a rear engine rider, 36" or so, then start saving up for a snowblower. They live near the Twin Cities so they don't 'usually' get that much snow.

I just don't know if they make them for such a big guy that will hold up. That is the question in my mind.

Thanks,

Baldwin

05-04-09, 05:11 PM   #4  
Posted By: Baldwin She says one acre but that includes a four bedroom house, 3 stall garage with a blacktopped driveway. They just bought the house a month or so ago so I don't suppose they are flush with cash. They are rather frugal and HATE using credit cards. Wish my son was like that.

If it were me I'd get a rear engine rider, 36" or so, then start saving up for a snowblower. They live near the Twin Cities so they don't 'usually' get that much snow.

I just don't know if they make them for such a big guy that will hold up. That is the question in my mind.

Thanks,

Baldwin
I think you are in the park that 36"-42" cut would do the job. I would imagine more maneuvering than flat out mowing.
RER by Snapper would fit both pilots I think well and be a long lasting reliable machine.
Price may be a bit more but likely around the same as a big box 42" that would be of lesser quality and may have ergonomic issues.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-09, 07:56 PM   #5  
I would stay 42"/16hp or larger. 1 acre takes a lot of time to cut and trim...you don't want to spend all day riding a little mower that's not par for the task from the get-go. I'd go with a 42" craftsman at the least and work up from there. I think you get more for your $ with a craftsman than many, but if money is no issue and quality is number one, I'd recommend a John Deere LX, GT, X series mower. These will run a few thousand. The cheaper Deeres found at box stores aren't worth the money in my opinion. Snapper has some good ones too. The rear engine riders (except the 42") are probably undersized and too uncomfortable to sit on for 1 acre of mowing. Their tractor style mowers are built by simplicity and are pretty good. Husqvarna is generally decent too (made by the same folks who make craftsman). Personally, I'd stay away from anything made by MTD (troybilt, huskee, bolens, most cub cadets, and many others).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MN

05-05-09, 10:10 AM   #6  
Thank you guys, I'll pass this along.

Baldwin

PA

05-05-09, 11:59 AM   #7  
For that size lawn, most of the manufacturers that cheese mentioned have nice machines available at around the $2000 range. Simplicity makes the new Snapper tractors, Allis Chalmers tractors, Massey Fergusons, Agcos, some come with better decks, some are priced competitively with "box store" machines. And Ariens has sort of re-entered the riding mower market with tractors made for them by Husqvarna (clones of Craftsman & Poulan) The Toros you see at the box stores are made under license by MTD. With such a difference in height, I would strongly recommend that they go to several places and each sit on the machines to see if she can reach the controls, have enough strength to lift the deck, get on and off easily, AND that he has enough leg room, belly room if needed, controls laid out ok, etc. Another thing for him to check is will he be bottoming out the seat springs with his weight? If yes, that can be a bone jarring ride on a bumpy lawn. I'm 6'-3" and currently weigh a "slim & trim" 290, so I know about finding something that "fits" and is comfortable to use.

MN

05-05-09, 06:47 PM   #8  
Thanks Joe, I'll pass that along also. He is one big dude.

Baldwin

MN

05-09-09, 11:53 AM   #9  
They were going to buy a slightly smaller one until it only made it half way across the parking lot. It died and wouldn't start again, they were ready to leave. Salesman says I'll talk to the manager.

For a hundred dollars more ($1,200) they bought this Craftsman:

Exclusive 21 hp Briggs & Stratton Platinum engine with full pressure lube

Exclusive 42" Precision cut mowing system with 4 adg. gauge wheels

Spring loaded deck life system

Premium hydrostatic automatic transmission

Fender shift for added convenience

Handy cup holder

Wider step thru area

Automotive type slide seat system

2 Year Full, 5 Year Frame and Front Axle Warranty

So, I think they got a good deal.

I mentioned to my daughter that because she'll be driving it they should maybe buy the front bumper......that didn't go over too well.

Thanks guys

Baldwin

NH

05-09-09, 02:22 PM   #10  
$50 for the front bumper is definatly worth it. Not because she is a woman driver. The front bumper has many uses. Once you have one, you will never be without one. If you get it stuck in a muddy area, or on slipery wet grass, or in your case, If it stalls and won't restart, you have something to tie a rope on to pull it out. And yes, it does protect the front grill (plastic) from getting hit and cracking it. I am sure over the next couple of years I will find more uses for my front bumper.

Search this Thread