Toro Walk Behind

Old 05-05-09, 04:58 AM
Toro Walk Behind

My sons Toro Model 20005 walk behind will start on the first pull when cold. It will run for 2 or 3 minutes and then cut off
and will not restart until it sits for some time. Have checked the carb for fuel when it cuts off and gas is in the bowl. Have disconnected the deadman cutoff and it still does it. Have removed the air filter and it still does it. Have replaced the sark plug and still does it. What else could it be - ignition module?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-09, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
My first thought was fuel starvation. When you checked the carb did you determine that (a) fuel was reaching the carb properly, and (b) a sufficient fuel level is being maintained in the bowl?

Old 05-05-09, 05:57 AM
I checked the float bowl immediatly after it cut off and there seemed to be plenty of fuel. It will not restart with the bowl full of fuel until you wait several hours. It wuill then start on the firat pull and run a couple of minutes and cut off again.

Old 05-05-09, 06:26 AM
When it dies check for spark.

Old 05-05-09, 07:13 AM
Try running with the gas cap loose. Vent in cap may be clogged.

Old 05-05-09, 09:57 AM
I'm going with the fuel cap but not because it's plugged but because the integrated, special gasket is missing. This is how most modern fuel caps breath...thru the threads by passing thru a special gasket.

Old 05-05-09, 11:28 AM
Will give the fuel cap thing a try as well as check spark this evening. I assume I can just ground the plug to the engine and pull the cord to check spark.

Old 05-05-09, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, that's what you do. I think you'll isolate the problem by performing the 2 tests.

Old 05-06-09, 05:45 AM
Ran mower last night with gas cap loose and it cut off. Pulled plug and grounded it and pulled cord. Saw no spark so I guess it is the module. Will go that route and see what happens.

Thanks to all.