Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro personal pace 20037 won't prime

RI

05-05-09, 11:08 AM   #1  
Toro personal pace 20037 won't prime

The mower will start if I spray a little gas in the carburetor and run fine. The primer does not seem to be working. I installed a new gasket between the carburetor and the air cleaner housing. I sprayed some carb. cleaner in the primer hole in the carburetor and it came out the jet. The primer ball has a hole on the top that looks molded in, I
guess that is supposed to be there. Before reinstalling the air cleaner housing I held the gasket on very firmly. When I press the primer hardly any air comes out of the little primer hole in the gasket, it barely blows a tiny piece of paper off the hole. Any Ideas??

Sponsored Links

CAL

05-05-09, 11:31 AM   #2  
I have a similar mower, model 20016. Mine does the same thing.

I replaced the same gasket you did with no improvement. I have been told the gasket between the motor and the carb needs to be replaced (opposite side of the one your replaced I think), but I have been unable to find the gasket at my local shop.

My work around has been to hold down the primer button longer than recommended, 2 seconds per pump, this seems to work.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-05-09, 08:14 PM   #3  
The gasket between the engine and carb has no effect on primer function. The housing has to be tight with the screws installed for it to work. It takes minimal air movement. Try pushing the primer in as far as it will go, not just short presses.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

RI

06-05-09, 03:59 PM   #4  
I Still need help. I changed the gasket on the aircleaner housing. The primer bulb does not have any cracks and I put a new gasket on the carburator bowl. It still will not prime. It will start right up and run fine if I spray a little gas in the carb. Any Ideas?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-09, 11:17 PM   #5  
Look for cracks around the bolt holes in the air filter housing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

06-06-09, 10:25 AM   #6  
bigssab,
You may have a warped or distorted air filter base. you can try doubling up on the gaskets as this may help, otherwise you may have to replace the air filter base in order to get it to work.

Stumped1,
Your Toro has a different engine then the original posters. Yours has a Tecumseh and the gasket between the air filter and carburetor is an O-Ring and does not affect the operation of the primer, although the base need to be installed as missing mounting screws will render the primer ineffective. The O-Ring seals on the nozzle in the carburetor can cause the primer not to work if they are deteriorated. The seal on the nozzle is important for both priming and proper engine operation.

Tec_Carb

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

06-06-09, 11:01 AM   #7  
Posted By: 30yearTech bigssab,

Tec_Carb
Awesome pics, have you perfected a method for removing the nozzle without damaging it?

Also I did not see it in the pics, but the nozzle on the top side usually covered by a small plug, I have heard it call and air bleed...? How important and what part does it play?

Thanks as always for sharing

TX

06-06-09, 08:15 PM   #8  
Posted By: BFHFixit Awesome pics, have you perfected a method for removing the nozzle without damaging it?

Also I did not see it in the pics, but the nozzle on the top side usually covered by a small plug, I have heard it call and air bleed...? How important and what part does it play?

Thanks as always for sharing
There is a special tool for removing the nozzle, I use a small paper clip to hook the nozzle and pull it out. The pilot jet screws in from the side of the carburetor and has a small plastic cap covering it, which is easily removed.

Search this Thread