Sears string trimmer

Old 05-05-09, 06:39 PM
Sears string trimmer

I have a model 358-797260 32cc two stroke trimmer that needs to have it's carb cleaned. It starts and runs but has the following issues:

The engine is a little bit down on power. It easily bogs down in moderately heavy grass but does not stop.

It takes six to seven pulls to start when cold, one or two if warm or hot.

It is just a touch slow to come up to full speed when not fully hot - meaning the choke is off but the engine has not been running for very long (under a minute or two).

After about 10 minutes of trimming, the engine will not return to idle. It is not running with a great deal of power because putting the string head into some grass / weeds will immediately slow the motor but taking the load off of the trimmer head causes it to speed back up considerably. Enough that the clutch is spinning the line and spinning it pretty fast.

Are all of the above symptoms likely to be corrected by cleaning the carb or should I look at something else when I take it apart?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-09, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could be a carb problem, but it could also be an air leak into the crankcase. If you apply partial choke, does the engine performance improve?

Old 05-10-09, 02:45 PM
Sorry: days late update.

I went to use it today, and to test if half choke improved performance. But it would not start. So I proceeded to take it apart with the intention to clean the carb and see what else I might find.

It would start briefly with ether so I was confident that the issue was with the carb so I went ahead and removed it.

The carb, a walbro, was a little dirty inside but not too bad. There was a small screen which was about half clogged with some type of material that did not look like varnish. Maybe just junk flowing in from the tank? I cleaned it. What I did discover was the inlet for the fuel was plugged pretty good - say 80 to 90 percent obstructed. And, the fuel line running from the tank to the card was falling apart in my hand. So I have to buy a gasket kit and some fuel line. I do not have a means to soak the carb myself. Would liberal use of carb cleaner and compressed air be sufficent to clean it out? Keep in mind that it did not look very bad inside the carb at all. Only the inlet tube and the screen showed any sign of clogging. I saw no evidence of any varnish.

Steve

Old 05-11-09, 11:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you've found the problems, and spray cleaner will probably do fine.