Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rototiller consumes oil

05-06-09, 06:48 AM   #1  
Rototiller consumes oil

I have a 30 year old Ariens tiller with a HH70-140056E Tecumseh engine. It has come time to resolve the oil consumption problem. Having not rebuilt an engine before can someone point me to step by step instructions for what I need to replace. Its a great machine and deserves a second life!

Sponsored Links

PA

05-06-09, 07:37 AM   #2  
What you need to replace depends on what is worn out. My best suggestion is to go to the library and look for a small engine repair book. That will show you how to tear it apart without destroying anything, give you the proper names of the various parts, how to measure for wear, what may need to be machined or bored out, and the proper way to reassemble the motor. Your motor may only need new rings and a head gasket and be good to go, or it may need all new innards, the cylinder bored out, new carb, head and/or block machined flat, and more, in which case it might be cheaper to replace the motor with a new one.

NY

05-06-09, 10:05 AM   #3  
This is a best book to refer to, it is the Tecumseh factory manual for your model series engine. Just copy and paste it into your browser. http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

05-08-09, 05:22 AM   #4  
wow. Thanks for the advise and particularly the pdf of the manual. I'll tackle it right away.

Search this Thread