sharpen blades on riding mower without taking them off?

Old 05-07-09, 04:35 AM
sharpen blades on riding mower without taking them off?

Anyone else use a dremel to sharpen their blades without taking them off. Good idea/ bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-09, 05:53 AM
The only way I'd sharpen the blades while still mouted is if I absolutely could not get them off...and that's not likely.There's no way to balance the blade without removing it!

Old 05-07-09, 06:42 AM
You do a much better job by taking them off. You can also see the blade better and see all the small nicks that you cant see while you are under a tractor trying to sharpen blades.
Plus, how long does it take to remove 1 (sometimes 3) bolts?
I found the best way to sharpen a blade is using a hand mill ******* file. I am sure that the sharpening machines do a better and faster job, but I just don't have an extra $1000 laying around.

Old 05-07-09, 10:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would burn up a dremel tool just to properly sharpen one blade in most cases I see. In order to take the entire bevel angle down until it reaches a sharp edge, you have to remove a lot more metal than a dremel can do, and you'd use a lot of little grinding stones. A file takes forever too. Take the blade off and use an angle grinder to take it down. Hold the grinder at the proper angle on the blade (in a vise) and keep the grinder moving back and forth along the cutting surface, never letting it stay in one place long enough to turn the metal blue. If it starts turning spots blue, you're removing the temper from the metal.

Old 05-08-09, 08:07 AM
Dremel tool blade sharpening

BitShift,
Just to be the devil's advocate on this... I do it all the time and while it may not be the best way -- it really is quick. Especially for my 42" deck mower blades where I have to setup special blocking to prevent the blades from moving while loosening the blades spindle-nut to take them off. Dremel grinding stone last me about a summer - I'm doing 3 pushmowers (all different heights) and 1 Cub Cadet 42" deck mower plus small hand scythe, trimming shears, brush shears, brush whacker (lots of multiflora rose in my area) and full hungarian brush scythe.

I can usually sharpen all my mower blades in the time it takes me to remove my deck mower blades... so I wind up sharpening more frequently, which is not a bad thing.
As far as blade balance is concerned, the only time I've ever had a problem is when I've hit a brick or stump and took a chunk out of the blade or bent the blade/shaft -- never experienced sharpening a blade out of balance though I suspect it's easy enough to do on a bench grinder.

You do what feels right for you both ways will work fine.
Greynold99

Old 05-09-09, 12:48 PM
greynold99 - what I just did a few minutes ago was run the front end of the mower part way up a pair of ramps. I left it in gear and shut the engine off. This made a fair amount of clearance between the deck and my driveway. It was a simple 20 minute job to sharpen all 4 edges of the 2 blades on my 42in deck. While it was up there, I made sure to clean the underside of the deck and hose it all down with wd40 to make the "gunk" easier to come off next time.

Old 05-12-09, 12:32 PM
Nice tip using ramps

BitShift,
That's a neat tip using ramps, I'll have to try it next time...
I have a Cub Cadet and because the mower deck attaches/detaches relatively easy enough, I never thought to just run the front of the tractor up on ramps.

I used to use black, rustoleum paint when preparing the underside of the mower deck but this year I tried using asphalt-based roof cement and a 'throw-away' spatula to spread it on. You have to do it outside because the smell is awful if the roof cement has to cure in your attached garage.
So far it's holding up better than the paint...

Greynold99

Old 05-12-09, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
What would you use roofing cement for? Man..what a mess!