Electric start murray lawn tractor

Old 05-07-09, 11:01 AM
Electric start murray lawn tractor

A friend has a murray lawn tractor (10hp b+s power range, 30" deck), which has a key start. It has sat for over 5 years, and is probably 10-15 years old. The contacts in the key switch have gone, and I can't open it to clean it.

I would therefore like to know what I have to put onto what to hot wire it, to see if it works before I invest in a new key switch.

On it it has terminals marked L M S B G

It has four positions, off, acessorys, ignition, start

It says PAT No.
OTHERS PEND.

I guess the contacts are Lights (acessorys), Ignition, Starter. Power in, Safety Sw.

Which is which?

Once going how do I stop it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-09, 11:26 AM
I am not familiar with any Murray 30" deck/10HP briggs under 15 years old....but

You would be better off not trying to hotwire or alter any of the wiring especially since the key switch is rather cheap...instead:

There should be a kill wire attached to coil. It may go to a small connector outside the shroud...either way disconnect this wire so there is no path to ground for the coil, then jump the solenoid or starter to crank the engine. If it does start you will have to either disconnect the spark plug wire, or ground the wire from the coil to stop the engine.

Old 05-07-09, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that, I will have a look. By coil do you mean ignition coil or magneto? I was told that that key switch stopped by grounding onto the chasis internally.

If you could work out what key switch it is I'll just buy a new key, but the rating plate has fallen off so I can't work out what key switch I will need.

Old 05-07-09, 06:29 PM
Post the model numbers of your lawn tractor and I am sure you will get some help.