Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler Pro 16 HP OHV - Won't Start- No Spark

05-11-09, 08:28 AM   #1  
Kohler Pro 16 HP OHV - Won't Start- No Spark

Recently bought a used Craftsman 42" mower (197-271080) with a Kohler 16 HP OHV engine. Ran fine for one day then stopped dead and would not turn over. Replaced blown 15 amp in-line fuse and it now cranks, getting fuel, but no spark to the plug. I'd sure appreciate any trouble shooting tips or most likely parts to check out/replace.,,
Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links

NY

05-11-09, 09:57 AM   #2  
First, try a new spark plug and then test for spark. Second, eliminate all potential safety circuit issues by isolating the kill wire from the ignition coil found, most likely, on the right side of the engine and unplugging the master connector and then checking for spark. If still no spark then you'll need to remove the flywheel shroud and remove the kill wire AT the ignition coil and then spin the engine over (cautiously, since the shrouding is now off!!!!!!!) and check for spark. If still no spark with this wire disabled directly at the coil then the coil is bad (provided the air gap is proper - .010"). If you have spark at the point you remove the master wire plug then you have a safety circuit issue and you'll then have to test all the switches to determine which one is at fault. If you have spark after the point of removing the kill wire at the coil then you have a bad (bare) kill wire.

05-11-09, 10:58 AM   #3  
Thanks a ton for the good advice and the methodical steps. I'll replace the spark plug first, based on similar threads. Do you have any idea what might have blown the fuse and if that is a symptom of the "no spark" issue? Obviously, I'm looking for some sort of short in the system and don't know if a bad coil is going to cause the fuse to blow. I haven't been able to see bare or frayed wires in plain sight but could be under something.
Again, I really appreciate the help and I'll check back...

05-11-09, 12:25 PM   #4  
Well guess what..! New plug installed and starts right up !!!!
I've been workin' on small engines a long time and NEVER had a plug just stop working...
You are a genius and a God-send..Thanks, very much for your help !!!

NY

05-11-09, 02:54 PM   #5  
Yeah, spark plug failure is common on small engines, especially air-cooled (as opposed to the few liquid cooled models available) engines. As for the fuse, overcranking is the most likely reason based on your particular problem with a no start issue! But, there are numerous other possibilities, it's just that the afforementioned reason is most likely with you.

Search this Thread