Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton got real hot!

05-12-09, 09:27 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton got real hot!

I'm helping a friend attemp to fix his SCOTTS Rider Mower. It has a 20HP Briggs & Stratton Intek V-Twin OHV engine in it. Well Supposedly it was running fine and then it was loosing power and smoking. There is definitely an oil leak and when I checked it it was LOW and smelled like spray paint. I wanna check compression but I have no specs. There is melted plastic all over so this thing got real hot. I assuming because of possilby running lean. Any info would help.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-12-09, 09:56 AM   #2  
Either one or both of the head gaskets has blown between the valve chamber and the cylinder and it's therefore migrating oil into the combustion chamber, or, your carburetor is dumping fuel into the crankcase, hence the smell of spray paint (gasoline mixed with oil).

PA

05-12-09, 10:22 AM   #3  
Have you pulled any of the metal shrouding off around the motor to see if it's packed with grass clipings? Be sure to replace the shrouds when done cleaning as they direct the cooling air around the motor. Mice LOVE to build nests in there, and that can hold in LOTS of heat.

Search this Thread