Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman GT3000 Rider

OH

05-13-09, 08:16 PM   #1  
Craftsman GT3000 Rider

I was mowing and it just stopped dead. No chugging,
no blue/black smoke, no nothing. No restart. I pushed
it up to the barn. I had it on the charger...the battery
has a full charge(I checked it with my meter). I turn the key, no nothing...no voltage indication on the dash. The brake is on, the seat switch is engaged(I took that apart, checked it out, and put it back). The mower is a manual tranny, so I had it in neutral, although I dont think it makes a difference with the brake on. I did visual inspections of the wiring, and didnt find anything. The oil is good, the gas is good. I am getting no juice for some reason. Is the key switch bad? The battery is old, but even if it were mediocre, it should still kick the motor over, but nothing happens. Please help! Thanks.

Last edited by Bigmaunch; 05-13-09 at 08:19 PM. Reason: needed to edit/add a point

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-13-09, 11:28 PM   #2  
You probably blew a fuse for some reason. Look at where the positive battery cable connects to the solenoid. There should be a smaller red wire connected to the same post. Follow this wire back to a fuseholder....this is the fuse I'm talking about. Check it and see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-14-09, 12:39 AM   #3  
fuse

I went ahead in the middle of the night, as I was still up, and
looked at it. I did see the main pos cable to solenoid, and did see another wire coming off that, but it went into middle of
tractor and as it was pretty dark, didnt see the wire right away. A fuse does make sense. I inspected the pos cable and there is a patch of rub marks, but not worn through. I bet there is a dead short on that tractor somewhere and popped the fuse. I will check tomorrow and repost. Thanks.

OH

05-14-09, 12:47 PM   #4  
what does fuse look like?

I traced all visible wiring. From pos post to sol. there is
obviously the main red cable. At sol. there is another flat
post that is red jacketed, but the wire is blue and it goes
to a plug/wire clip that joins 5 wires, with one empty. That
blue wire goes into that plug. I dont see any barrel type
fuse like a car used to have, or the flat type that the car's
fuseboxes now have. I did find mounted via plastic bracket
a black box style thing...a relay? a fuse? It is labeled 49400
on top, and has a series of numbers with a small schematic
(numbers surround schematic). I am guessing this is a relay.
On the left side of the engine near the gas line, there is a flat
3 pronged connection mounted to side of engine block near top. I will keep looking and check back here for replies. I am
at a loss still.....

OH

05-14-09, 03:07 PM   #5  
Funny how you call the 800 number on the machine, and tech
support says the same thing CHEESE said..sounds like the fuse.
The reason I called them was to get a description of what the
fuse looked like, as it probably could have been any shape and anywhere on the mower. It in fact turned out to be a 30AMP
flat type fuse like in your car's fusebox. Finding it was the tough part, as where the tech(Indian guy) said it was, it wasnt. It was behind the battery where all the wires are snaked everywhere. I just did the process of elimination thing, and found a fuse holder with the fuse completing the circuit.

Now as to why it blew, who knows. I didnt find any chafed wires. Thanks cheese!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-09, 08:27 PM   #6  
Glad you found it! I have seen fuses blow for no known reason. Sometimes you can replace it and never have a problem with it again. Sometimes electrical stuff is just weird like that.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread