jx75

Old 05-15-09, 01:33 PM
jx75

I loaned my John Deere Jx75, and it was returned with a problem. It only self-propels on the highest setting and there is a ratchet sound when it does that. The control lever for speeds feels like it is not connected to the cable and the spring underneath the mower is hanging loose. Is this just a deal of replacing the cable? What is the ratcheting sound? ...and how do I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-09, 10:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you pull on the cable to see if it is broken, or just disconnected? Not sure about the ratchet noise...is it coming from the wheels?

Old 05-15-09, 11:17 PM
well, yeah as far as it goes...but it goes into that housing shroud so it won't pull out very far. Just wondered, before I start taking everything apart if anyone recognized the symptoms. The ratcheting can be heard over the engine and you can feel it in the handle as it goes at warp speed only. I would think that if it were just a control cable broken that I wouldn't get any movement out of the drive?

Old 05-16-09, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, but I can't picture that setup in my head. I have a deere self prop at the shop to be picked up, I don't know what model, but I'll take a look and see how it is set up and maybe I can give you some better info once I know what we're dealing with. I agree with your logic...if the cable were broken, it doesn't make sense that it would work at all in any speed.

I hate loaning equipment as much as I hate borrowing it. I avoid both as hard as I can.

Old 05-16-09, 12:24 PM
Cool. Thanks. Let me know what you find out, before I bloody my knuckles and discover that I should have taken it in to be repaired.