SS30 bulb not priming / not starting

Old 05-15-09, 01:38 PM
SS30 bulb not priming / not starting

Despite my username, I now have a RYOBI SS30. I got it last year, and while using it last weekend I noticed a loss in power at full throttle. The intake screen was gunked-up so I cleaned it. I also removed the spark plug, it looked find and it cleaned it also. The exhaust manifold also looked fine...

Upon priming I noticed that the bulb was not filling-up. I suppose a line might be clogged?

Would appreciate some ideas and ideally some troubleshooting steps...

Thanks much. Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-09, 10:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a carb restriction. It could be a problem in the line as well, does the primer return to normal position after pressing it? Have you checked the fuel lines for cracks or pinholes?

Old 05-16-09, 09:43 AM
At least one hose was an issue. It was somewhat split where it enters the fuel tank. I took a hose line off my older RYOBI and made that work. It was too short though, so I hacked-off a thin metal pipe from an old carb to act as a male connector to lengthen the line. This will be last my RYOBI. I want to get through this season on this one though...

It doesn't run all that great still and max power fluctuates. Might be a fuel delivery issue... Heck, it seems to run best in start mode where it really humms, but once I hit the throttle, it would die. I had to crank-up the idle rpms. I think I did see a pinhole in the other line. I would if that is the culprit now...

Heading to The Home Depot later... Can the right size line (ID & OD) be sourced there?

Thanks Cheese!

Old 05-16-09, 06:44 PM
I'm kinda thinking if you put a carb kit in it, adjust the meetering lever & fix up the fuel lines, It'll be good for a long time yet, providing you have no air leaks in the crankcase & no scoring on the piston / cylinder.. I thought RYOBI was a top end type of trimmer,, No??? Roger

Old 05-16-09, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if HD carries fuel lines or not. It's probably worth replacing though.

Roger, I'm not sure where you got that impression.... lol. You put Ryobi on the wrong end of the list in my opinion.

Old 05-16-09, 07:07 PM
I've never worked on one & I'm not sure where that idea came from (I get a lot of strange ideas,,,) but I may be confusing it with another brand (I also get confused easily LOL..) Roger..

Old 05-17-09, 11:35 AM
No such lines at HD...

The lines are improved, and don't seem to be an issue now as the bulb fills and engine starts with no problems.

I cannot get full power though. The odd things is that it really hums in start mode, but once I drop it into run mode by applying throttle, it slows to maybe 1/2 power. I swing it back to start mode and the rpms pick-up a lot.

I put in a new spark plug and even got some new, fresh fuel yesterday. I also removed the muffler / spark arrester to see if that was the culprit, and there is no difference.

I welcome more ideas. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-17-09, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's still a fuel starvation issue. Either it is getting air past a gasket or in the fuel line, or there is a passage clogged or adjustment closed too far. Fuel lines don't fix themselves...so I'm thinking you need fuel lines at least, and probably the carb cleaned out as well. I don't think you're going to get it right without this.

Old 05-17-09, 07:33 PM
Thanks cheese for the feedback.

Well, my hands are numb and my ears are ringing as I went throught two tanks of fuel, and got most of my land cleared of weeds. I now feel safer with the upcoming fire season...

For some reason, it decided to run like a top, so I went non-stop to exhaustion, not knowing it would crap-out on me again. This dang thing chucks rocks back at me, so I had to bundle-up with two pair of sweats, in 110 degree temps here in the canyon! I still have welts on my legs though from rocks....

On my old RYOBI, there were several adjustment screws noted in the manual. For this one, the manual just references the idle adjustment. Are there other ones, and if so, where?

Weed-wacking 1.5 acres of sloping terrain sucks, especially in my later years. Can you recommend something else? I've seen those wide-sweep push weed-eaters with two large wheels in the back. I wonder if that is the way to go... I just don't if the cut low enough. Thank you.

Old 05-17-09, 10:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer a hand held because the wheeled type doesn't cut to the ground if you want like a handheld will. The lower end trimmers are harder to use because they are generally noisier, often heavier, harder to start, more cantankerous, and not well balanced. Ever thought about an echo or stihl with the u-bar type handlebar with trigger grip throttle and a shoulder strap? Especially with 1.5 acres of land to trim. It will seem like driving a cadillac after years of riding a gocart.

Old 05-17-09, 10:43 PM
cheese, would you have a link or two? Thanks for confirming that wheeled ones don't cut to ground level...

Old 05-17-09, 11:33 PM
Something like this should work fairly well. 21" Makita Flail Mower It goes fairly low, and it will be much quicker, and much more reliable.

Old 05-18-09, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Gosh, if that cuts low enough, that would be great. Is there way to see how low various products go? Would be nice to see a before and after...

Old 05-18-09, 02:27 PM
A relative as a Makita dealer I shall enquire about that, I found this. Cuts 2-8cm high comes in 20, 24 or 30".

Power Mech 20" Honda Flail Mower

Or a 22 - 30" Strimmer

DR Scout
Head

Old 05-18-09, 04:19 PM
Looks like if one wants to get to ground level, a hand-held trimmer is the way to go. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 05-19-09, 09:34 AM
How about a scythe mower? Cuts pretty much flat against the ground.

Here