Murray Transaxle Fluid Fill?

Old 05-16-09, 06:09 AM
Murray Transaxle Fluid Fill?

1999 Murray Rider Model No. 42598X92A Mfc. Date: 99130Transaxle # is 2055024C
I took this transaxle off yesterday and when I pulled the four bolts out that goes through the transaxle to the brackets they were bone dry. The ones I pulled out of my good transaxle came out with fluid on them. My question is where would I put the fluid in at? My good transaxle has a big cap on it so it is obvious. The 1999 one I have listed here seems like it might be a sealed unit but that does not make sense to me. Of course I am thinking that is the reason the thing does not work is because it went dry. Also my good one Model #: 46901X92A Date of Manufacture is 0334 Transaxle #: 93264 94 does not seem to have bellows on it. Is that something they did away with or just made it different? BTW the switch went pretty good as I got it to fit and the belt lines up. Just have to hook up rods and springs which might take some engineering to make it right. Seem to be dealing with going from a side attaching to attaching on top. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-09, 02:45 PM
I didn't take the time to run all your numbers (shame on me) but it's most likely a Peerless transaxle and oil level check is below;

Good Luck

Old 05-16-09, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bolts you mentioned should not be wet with fluid. If they are, fluid has leaked on them from out of the case.

Old 05-23-09, 06:24 PM
Thanks, that really didn't make sense to me in the first place.

Old 05-24-09, 06:37 AM
What is the possibility of a transaxle just being out of fluid? Is this one of those things that if I fill it back up it will start working or is it most likely that whoever ran it dry most likely ruined it? I imagine this question is a maybe it will work or maybe it won't. Just curious since I already bolted in the one that does work, but still haven't hooked it up yet as it will take some modification. The one that works is the one with the case leak onto the bolts, but does not leak out on the ground. Thanks again.

Old 05-24-09, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen it before, and added synthetic 20w-50 oil to the proper level, and it worked fine. Still working to this day. You never know. I'd look at the existing fluid first and if it is grey colored, that's aluminum dust in it and it indicates that the tranny is badly worn and probably not worth trying.