Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

PTO pulley bolt keep coming out

MI

05-16-09, 09:41 AM   #1  

Briggs and Straton #42A707. The bolt that holds the pulley to the bottom of the motor keeps coming out. If I use lock-tite I won't be able to ever remove the pulley if I need to will I?

How to I make sure the bolt won't come out?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

05-16-09, 09:55 AM   #2  
There may be another issue (worn threads or similar), but they make different types of loctite...
Some is for studs that will never be removed without heat or machine help, but there are low bond types for fasteners that may need to be hand loosened in the future.

And almost all of them can be loosened with a little bit of heat from a torch.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

FL

05-16-09, 02:36 PM   #3  
Gunguy is right on.....

Are you tightening this bolt with some type impact wrench ?

If you have no impact wrench and the threads are still in good shape you can use the below method to pin the engine so you can tighten it better.

Rotate the engine clockwise by hand until the piston is at top dead center compression stroke, Then remove the spark plug. Now rotate it back counterclockwise until the piston goes back down about a inch, Feed 6 to 8" of number 4 1/2 recoil rope (only use recoil rope) into the spark plug hole leaving some hanging out for removal. Rotate the engine clockwise again until the piston/crankshaft stops turning, You now have the engine pinned so a wrench can be put on the clutch bolt for removal.

To re-install, Rotate the engine counterclockwise enough to pull the rope out of the plug hole. Now, Rotate clockwise again until the piston comes back to top dead center but continue past until the piston is about a inch down again. Feed the rope back into the plug hole then rotate the engine counterclockwise to pin the piston/crankshaft again then tighten the clutch bolt.

This method is outlined in Brigg's service manuals and works on any 4cycle engine, One would have to be very careful using this method on a 2cycle engine due to the intake and exhaust ports.

Good Luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-16-09, 07:50 PM   #4  
Without any info regarding how tight you're tightening it, I will have to guess you aren't tightening it tight enough, and/or it doesn't have a lock-washer on it. If you are hand tightening it without blocking the engine from turning, then you aren't tightening it enough.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

05-17-09, 09:36 AM   #5  

I don't have an impact wrench. Is there a torque spec? Or do I just use a really big wrench and pray that I don't strip it out? I assume I need a hardened bolt?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-17-09, 03:31 PM   #6  
I think that's going to have a 7/16" fine thread grade 5 or grade 8 bolt, which would be torqued to no less than 50 ft lbs. Get a big wrench and tighten it 'till you grunt...then give it one more good tug. You're not going to strip it unless you've got some pretty big arms or a really big wrench.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

FL

05-17-09, 03:36 PM   #7  
There are many on-line torque spec charts such as this one; Torque, They should get you close enough without stripping/breaking the bolt.

Good Luck

Search this Thread