Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Gas Weedwacker - trimming head

05-17-09, 06:13 PM   #1  
Craftsman Gas Weedwacker - trimming head

Trying to find an easy-load replacement trimming head for the Craftsman 358.791030 25 cc/1.5 cu in 2-cycle gas weedwacker. I can find replacement heads for those that have a threaded post, but mine is an un-threaded post that you just push the head onto. I've found a Craftsman Cutting head part # 85740 on searspartsdirect.com, but it doesn't say which models it fits or even how it is installed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-17-09, 10:34 PM   #2  
That's a really easy to load head you already have. I'm not to sure you'll find anything easier...most will be a little more involved than yours. Are you having a hard time with it?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

05-18-09, 02:13 PM   #3  
Craftsmen Gas Weedwacker - trimming head

Sorry, I should have specified easy-to-load string. The head itself pops on and off easily enough, I just get frustrated with the string getting tangled, not feeding properly, etc. I'm looking for the kind that allows me to just push a button and load a length of string without rewinding string onto the trimming head. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-09, 11:01 PM   #4  
I'm not aware of any type of head that has a button that allows you to feed string into it. Every type I know of that takes line you have to wind it on a spool. Anyway, your entire head comes off, not just the spool. You have to hold the nut above the head and unscrew the head to get it off, then use adapter kits that usually come with other heads to put another head on. Most aftermarket heads are as aggravating or more aggravating than the originals, and some rob power, come loose, and cause other problems. Maybe you should look into one that just has little whips that snap in place and when they wear down, you put new ones in. No winding or feeding, but lots of changing the little things.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-09, 11:14 PM   #5  
You have to hold the nut above the head and unscrew the entire head to change it, not just the part that pulls out. I don't think I know of any heads that use regular line that allow you to push a button to insert a length of line. They all require winding the line to my knowledge. I remember one that takes short custom made lines with knobs on the end, and you use them until they wear down too far, pull them out and put new ones in, but I don't recall the name. Most aftermarket heads are as aggravating or worse than most original equipment heads in my opinion. Stihl makes one of the best heads I think. You have to wind line on a spool though.

God bless!

Search this Thread